New Definition

For Helicopters - The logging of flight time begins with engine start-up and ends with engine shut-down.  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who likes this new definition?

• yes
    • no

Flight time means:

(3) For Helicopters - The logging of flight time begins at engine start-up and ends with engine shut-down.

Lets just make it simple, and end all arguments about "blades turning, aircraft moving, skids up, taxiing on wheels, componant time, dropping off passengers, run-ups, etc...".

This lets pilots log the most amount of time possible. If you're a high time pilot you probably don't care, but for us starving low timers, scratching and clawing for every tenth, this could be the difference between a job that pays the bills, or another year in your car eating Ramen!

With enough of us, we can put a petition together and submit it to the FAA?

Edited by pilot#476398

I think it's a better idea to have an understanding the regulation, it's intent and it's scope. Your aviation world view at this point is very narrow. There are lots of implications that go into the concept of flight time. Building it for a newbie is very low in the priority list.

However, I'd appreciate your posting the response you get from the FAA on this.

I do sincerely commend you on trying though. Though you are going to need more of an argument than "I think this is the way it should be so I can stop eating Ramen."

It really isn't a democracy and it doesn't matter who "Likes" your new definition because the lawyers in DC certainly will not.

Just to emphasize a point that HeliilotPTK was making that your definition lacks:

Mechanics will be logging lots of flight time for ground runs with your definition. PIC time too, I suppose. And also, who pays for the component time when they are flying without proper certification?

Edited by C of G

I think it's a better idea to have an understanding the regulation, it's intent and it's scope. Your aviation world view at this point is very narrow. There are lots of implications that go into the concept of flight time. Building it for a newbie is very low in the priority list.

However, I'd appreciate your posting the response you get from the FAA on this.

I do sincerely commend you on trying though. Though you are going to need more of an argument than "I think this is the way it should be so I can stop eating Ramen."

It really isn't a democracy and it doesn't matter who "Likes" your new definition because the lawyers in DC certainly will not.

Just to emphasize a point that HeliilotPTK was making that your definition lacks:

Mechanics will be logging lots of flight time for ground runs with your definition. PIC time too, I suppose. And also, who pays for the component time when they are flying without proper certification?

I'm not sure why a mechanic would care about logging flight time, but sure, adding "for the intent of flight" would clear that up.

I don't see how adding "for helicopters" to the definition is really that big a deal. There already is a (2) for gliders, and its not like the FAA hasn't made exeptions for helicopters in any other regulations!?

...but hey, its just a thought!

Any chance we could stop bringing up multiple threads about how to log time, its getting old!

I log what the hobbs say. The FAA have never cared or questioned me. No person hiring me has ever cared or questioned me. No fellow pilots have ever cared or questioned. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no-one really cares or questions it.

Edited by Trans Lift
  • Like 2