heater electric

Stealth1000

Are you going to add a 35amp circuit breaker?

The other concern is will it provide enough hot air flow to be the solution you need?

What is the typical outside air temp you are operating in?

Beyond that...is it a good idea...no..but might work ok...the current draw with the 70 amp alternator isnt theconcern...it also isnt legal really..but whatever.

HI EVERYBODY

what do you think if i put electric heater a 24 volt, 800watts ,32 amps in a hughes 269 c the alternator is 70 amps , a good idea or not .thank you

Add value to your helicopter, go ahead and buy that Paravion Technology heater they told you about in your last post on this issue. List price only $4,395. Forget about those Target/Walmart heaters.

"A unique, high performance cabin heating system for the 269A, B and C helicopters. The heater is designed to pull air from the cabin, blow it through the auxiliary oil cooler and back to the cabin for cold weather operations, or dump the air overboard for warm weather operations. This system meets the high gross weight cooling requirements for the C Model. Available in 12 and 24 VDC, the kit is FAA/STC approved. The auxiliary oil cooler is not included with the installation."

Paravion Technology, Inc.

Edited by iChris

HI

I know the paravion is the best for heating but it coast $4500.00, I am a private pilot and i fly about 1 hours per week them I find a little expensive.

I dont fly under 10 a 14 degree f ,

of course it very simple for install a electric heater and the price is very cheap , firts I am electricien and mecanicien

but I don t know it legal or not ,I don t see the danger that he might.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/usa-made-24-volt-ducted-electric-heater.html

Stealth 1000

Think the decamal point is wrong 32Amps for 800 watts not .32Amp

The Paravon unit is the way to go.

Not to be sniffy but flying is expensive, owning your own is even more so.

Have seen the Paravion cooler box fitted on the standard oil cooler & piped strait into the cab without electric fan, the box having removable front for summer.

When I saw the post I immediately thought of this link that had a heater in a 407 for heating overnight. I know it's not the same as you are proposing but would make me worry about issues unless it was a certified modification:)

http://www.justhelicopters.com/COMMUNITY/JHFORUMS/JHAlternateForum/tabid/180/forumid/1/postid/26870/view/topic/Default.aspx

I know the paravion is the best for heating but it coast $4500.00, I am a private pilot and i fly about 1 hours per week them I find a little expensive.

I dont fly under 10 a 14 degree f ,

of course it very simple for install a electric heater and the price is very cheap , firts I am electricien and mecanicien

but I don t know it legal or not ,I don t see the danger that he might.

http://www.sportsimp...ric-heater.html

To make it officially legal you need to obtain FAA approval. You see, Paravion has already done the footwork and obtained an STC approval for their product. Therefore, you need only follow the STC’s instructions and install the product, complete form 337, and you’re done.

Another option, you could contact the Aircraft Certification Office and get the information needed to obtaining approval yourself or you could hire a FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) to do it for you. A DER’s fee could run $1,500 or more for simple projects like this.

The option I think you prefer is to just stay under the radar. Go ahead and install it your way and if it works, fine. Lots of people do it that way (on-the cheap) and it works most every time with these so-called minor items that can be easily installed and removed. Just so long as you know the score. It’s your aircraft.

Paravion Technology, Heater Cabin, H269, STC SH2726NM

21.93 Classification of changes in type design.

[a] In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A “minor change” is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are “major changes”

21.95 Approval of minor changes in type design.

Minor changes in a type design may be approved under a method acceptable to the FAA before submitting to the FAA any substantiating or descriptive data.

21.97 Approval of major changes in type design.

[a] An applicant for approval of a major change in type design must—

[1] Provide substantiating data and necessary descriptive data for inclusion in the type design;

[2] Show that the changed product complies with the applicable requirements of this subchapter, and provide the FAA the means by which such compliance has been shown; and

[3] Provide a statement certifying that the applicant has complied with the applicable requirements.

Approval of a major change in the type design of an aircraft engine is limited to the specific engine configuration upon which the change is made unless the applicant identifies in the necessary descriptive data for inclusion in the type design the other configurations of the same engine type for which approval is requested and shows that the change is compatible with the other configurations.

Edited by iChris

Stealth 1000

Think the decamal point is wrong 32Amps for 800 watts not .32Amp

The Paravon unit is the way to go.

Not to be sniffy but flying is expensive, owning your own is even more so.

Have seen the Paravion cooler box fitted on the standard oil cooler & piped strait into the cab without electric fan, the box having removable front for summer.

You're right. Should be 32Amps, then the math works out right.

P= I x E (768 watts = 32Amps X 24 Volts) close enough to 800 Watts

Edited by iChris

I know you already made up your mind... but since you posted here I'd just like to say it sounds like a load of crap what you're about to do to your nice 300. I wouldn't do it and I am very liberal about what can be done in aircraft. It sounds more than a bit unsafe and just plain ol' chincy. If you want to consider a cheaper solution get a facet (now precision) style oil cooler heater with dump valve... You can assemble one for less than 500 dollars. Not as good in cold weather below 25 F. But much safer and easy to install/uninstall. again, whatever