Helicycle quick stop and hot dog cooker

StanFoster

Here are some videos from the PRA.....Popular Rotorcraft Association ...held every year at Mentone, Indiana.

I fly my Helicycle over from Illinois each year. If you scroll down to the last video....someone posted a video of myself doing a quick stop and departure at Mentone.....followed by over 50 hot dogs being cooked for the delight of the crowd...off my turbine exhaust. They were really good!

http://www.pra.org/default.aspx?p=Mentone2012Vids&i=72

Stan Foster

Illinois

Cool video and awesome machine. I've wondered though if someone built time in a helicycle would employers consider that turbine time?

I heard once that "turbine time, is turbine time, they're not going to care what its in". The problem is that if all you're doing is farting around by yourself (i.e. one seat helicycle, most likely non commercial flying) you might have a hard time competing against everyone else (i.e. CFIIs with job experience)?

However, I heard once that one guy did it!

What does time really matter when you have that freedom? I would love to build one but, I don't have the $ to front for a kit, and I imagine a loan is next to impossible for such a project.

Now that's a good question. I'd drive a 300 dollar car if it meant being able to afford a loan for a helicycle. What kind of useful load does one of those have? Could you strap some camping gear to the outside and head out into the wilderness for a weekend?

Edited by Fred0311

Now that's a good question. I'd drive a 300 dollar car if it meant being able to afford a loan for a helicycle. What kind of useful load does one of those have? Could you strap some camping gear to the outside and head out into the wilderness for a weekend?

Good question. What kind of printed specs do kits like this have? Do they have an RFM or POH with printed stuff like Vne, max gross, etc.?

It comes with a POH. A 220 pound pilot can easily haul 20 pounds of extras with full fuel. I weigh 225 and have hauled that much on over 100 degrees temps.

A 180 pound pilot could of course haul another 40 pounds. However there isnt much place to store stuff. I have a compartment under my seat that can haul some clothes...tools...but nothing major. I strap on a dufffel bag when going on a cross country for 4-5 days.

S

• Like 1