Transition from fixed wing

Is there any job market for fixed wing pilots looking to transition to the rotor world? I live in ohio and have always wanted to fly for metro lifeflight. What kind of hours does it take to get on with a operation like that? Would any of my fixed wing time be of benefit to me? What is the pay like for operations like that?

HEMS typically requires 2,000 helicopter hours. Out of that, 1,000 should be turbine and 1,000 PIC. While your fixed wing time gives experience, it doesn't give the experience as necessary for company insurance requirements. Typical starting pay is between 55-60 grand per year with many bases offering location bonuses.

So basically my fixed wing hours wont help as far as the requirements go though other than when it comes to getting my ratings

For HEMS no. Only HEMS provider I know that allows fixed wing credit is Air Evac. Even then, you'd still have to get 1,500 hrs helicopter to get looked at. Not sure about other helicopter jobs allowing fixed wing hours for total time. If they do, you can bet they still have a hefty helicopter minimum time requirement.

I don't want to imply your fixed wing time wouldn't be a benefit. The experience you have as far as navigation, ATC comms, WX decision making, etc. all have application in the rotary wing world. I know it helped me. I'm just saying as far as helping to get hired, it wouldn't be much of a factor.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

So basically my fixed wing hours wont help as far as the requirements go though other than when it comes to getting my ratings

Your fixed wing time doesn't count towards the minimum helicopter experience (logged time) requirements. It is experience that could be a decision point between minimally qualified applicants.

I talked to a couple EMS operators just to see what they would say for my own personal edification. When I initially talked to one, I phrased it that I had 2600 total, with 1100 turbine helicopter. She asked "So your other time is 22s and 44s or 300s?" I said, "No, airplanes." It was just a long pause and she said "Well you have plenty of turbine time but youll need 2000 total in helicopters first" But she did say my IFR airplane actual would be a plus. That was Med Trans. I talked to, Med Trans, PHI, Air Methods and CALSTAR. I think CALSTAR actually wanted 3000 helicopter.

But that doesn't mean there are not other things you can do with helicopters until then.

Edited by Flying Pig

Seeing as you're in Ohio, you should pay a visit to Due North Aviation, I'll be doing my PPL-H training there this summer! The owner is a heck of a guy, and during one of my "noob asking a ton of questions" sessions, we got on the topic of EMS, seeing as there is a small EMS base just outside the hangar. He mentioned a friend of his that had 2000 hours airplanes, and 500 turbine helicopters. Much like previously stated, he mentioned that the overall aeronautical knowledge one has from a large amount of airplane time is valuable, but the stick time is more important. The point of that convo was that the friend was confident that he could get a job with an EMS company with this lower amount of stick time.

Whether or not he really COULD, I'll never know. It's possible! But seeing as you wish to get into Metro, I would still emphasize calling up Due North Aviation, as the owner, Steve, knows just about everybody. He could give great advice, and in this industry, I've learned that WHO you know is as important as WHAT you know. For what it's worth, tell them Harley referred you ;)

First reading, didn't catch your particular interest in the Cleveland Metro service. That specific might affect your path, I believe PHI is the provider and has been so a substantial part of it's history. In my experience, the logged helo time specified is the absolute minimum at which they will talk to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Camts which stands for

Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems ...

is the organization that specifies minimum hours for pilots in HEMS. Nearly all HEMS organizations follow Camts guidlelines which is 2,000 hours rotary. They could not care less about any amount of fixed wing time although I like many others think they are crazy not to.

Camts which stands for

Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems ...

is the organization that specifies minimum hours for pilots in HEMS. Nearly all HEMS organizations follow Camts guidlelines which is 2,000 hours rotary. They could not care less about any amount of fixed wing time although I like many others think they are crazy not to.

I don't know, that seems to me like if TOPS were to consider bus driving experience counting towards their 1000 minimum for tour pilots?