National Guard Warrant Progress

Hey all,

Since I've been lurking on this forum for a while I thought I'd add a post from the NG perspective (they seem to be few and far between).

I am currently a member of the Maryland ARNG as an E-4 Cav Scout (19D). To start off the process for National Guard Warrant selection is way different than the USAREC process. I actually made the mistake of trying to create a packet based off USAREC for the guard. The Guard process is slightly different.

A little about myself, I'm a former Marine (5 yrs total) where I held a TS clearance guarding embassies. I currently work as an agent with Homeland Security in the DC area. I'm 28 now and that seems to be my biggest hurdle since the aviation unit near Aberdeen wants applicants to finish training by age 30. I have 91 credits toward my undergrad in intelligence studies (online) with a 2.9 GPA, not the greatest but working full time and going to school really gets rough.

Anyway, I just submitted my packet to the unit last week and it was reviewed with what seems like positive feedback. They told me that they would call me within the next month for a board interview by the State Aviation Officer. Apparently we have one slot and I'm competing against an OCS guy and another E-4.

Does anyone have any info or advice on the National Guard process? Sorry if I seem like I'm rambling here.

• Like 2

Well I don't have much to inquire about/ suggest regarding the guard side, but I can completely relate to your college comment. I'm taking classes online full time as well as workin full time, and I'm aroun a 3.0 as well. You said Intel Studies; that's what my degree is in. American Military University?

Best of luck with your packet submission. Just keep at it no matter what happens.

Yeah you will go before the SAO and several other board members, you will report to the president of the board, the SAO and it will be a formal/informal board to determine the OML for the 3 people that they are invterviewing. I boarded against 6 other people. At the conclusion of the board they called us each in one by one and let us know if we were selected. I was the top candidate and allowed to choose my school date, and it went down the list from there.

After that the FED REC board was a formal board administered by an O grade officer (INF major in my case) and a CW5 and another CPT. it was just like any other board, report, facing movements sit down, why do you want to be a warrant, etc. Once you have fed rec approval letter you are ready to get an ATRRS slot.

From there you go down to rucker.

Good luck on the selection process. Give it your best shot and make sure you know why you want to be an aviator, what you will do for the state, and if you plan on leaving the state soon for any reason.

No problem guys, good luck to anyone trying to go guard. I wont lie though, being an M day pilot takes a lot of extra effort. Studying at night while not getting paid, going in on extra weekends, giving up friday nights to do NVG flights. To me it is worth it, but just realise you are giving up more of your free time than the traditional guard member.

• Like 1

Electron, I've been wondering about the extra time devoted to making up flight hours. I live an hour and a half away from the unit and I am willing to risk the weekly drive for this, or possibly move closer.

I actually work with a CPT with the Louisiana guard who flys from DC every other week to make up his hours. I have no idea how he does it but I'm about to start asking. Also, what do you mean about studying at night not getting paid? I'm guessing that means since you're not flying every day that you have to refresh on a few topics before each weekend?

When you fly during the week on aftp's you are getting paid for the 8 hours you are there but if you do any planning at home or study 5 & 9 you are using your personal time to do it. Active duty guys get paid for 30 days of work so even if they are studying at home they are getting paid. In the guard you only get paid for the actual hours you are at work but you put in many more hours at home to maintain your academic proficiency. Not sure if that makes sense.

Not saying its a deal breaker just keep in mind the drive time and extra hours of studying that the guard doesnt pay for. I live 10 minutes from our flight facility and work full time for the guard so its a little different for me

SemperVolans,

I'm prior active duty, now NG and going through the process. It is much different than the active side, also each state seems to be a bit different in regards to what they want in your packet and the entire process. I tried in one state and they wanted things almost identical to an active applicants packet, where as the state I'm going through now wanted some extra things and not others.

Did you submit your packet through your current unit or to the aviation unit you want to go to?

SemperVolans,

I'm prior active duty, now NG and going through the process. It is much different than the active side, also each state seems to be a bit different in regards to what they want in your packet and the entire process. I tried in one state and they wanted things almost identical to an active applicants packet, where as the state I'm going through now wanted some extra things and not others.

Did you submit your packet through your current unit or to the aviation unit you want to go to?

I submitted it personally to the aviation unit. I would never put my future in someone else's hands so I wouldn't dare try to submit it through my unit (a cav unit). They have plenty of other things going on to worry about my warrant packet. Good group of guys though.

As for the packet I made calls to the aviation unit almost daily to obtain info on exactly how they wanted the packet presented. I also made the drive up to personally meet them. As much of a pain it was it definitely pays off. Even if I don't get selected I feel great about actually putting forth the effort to submit my packet.

They will probably take all that into consideration when it comes to selection. The SAO is looking long term who they feel like will be the best investment for them. If you seem eager to leave the state or don't have family to keep you there they will be hesistant about sending you. We have had multiple guys go to school and ask for an inter state transfer to leave as soon as they graduated.

Since it's "their slot" and "their money" they are looking for a long term commitment (6 years +) from whom ever they select. Make sure you present yourself in that light if you want to be competitive.

I agree with you about feeling good about all the effort you put in, I board tomorrow and regardless of the outcome I know I did everything in my power and gave it my all.

At this point I say keep in close contact with them on a weekly basis so they know how committed you are and ensure everything they have is up to date and correct.

• 3 weeks later...

OP, I don't recommend telling the world about your clearance, you will have a lot of fun in SERE with that mentality. To add to what electron said, be prepared for the additional work that you will be doing on your own, there is a whole ton of knowledge that you have to regurgitate such as 5 and 9, systems, aeromed, airspace, and so on and so on. That will become frustrating and trying to maintain a civilian career becomes a balancing act. It works for me and I enjoy what I do, but I have seen many people who cant do it. The best part of being in the guard for me is not having to move every few years, and re establishing your life all over again. You get to know people in you unit very closely and for many years. The guard requires longevity, so be prepared for many years of service, and if you are make sure that the board members are aware of that.