Getting back into the seat after a year off - tips/advice?

I'm finally home from Afghanistan for good, and I'm returning to Guidance Aviation in Prescott, AZ to pick back up with my instrument semester. I'm worried that I'll be noticeably rusty and curious if anyone has taken such a break in their flight training, and how it went. Any tips or advice for me? I've been studying the POH and a good bit of FAR material, but really deep down inside, I'm slightly nervous about my first few flights after such a long break.

• Like 1

I'm finally home from Afghanistan for good, and I'm returning to Guidance Aviation in Prescott, AZ to pick back up with my instrument semester. I'm worried that I'll be noticeably rusty and curious if anyone has taken such a break in their flight training, and how it went. Any tips or advice for me? I've been studying the POH and a good bit of FAR material, but really deep down inside, I'm slightly nervous about my first few flights after such a long break.

First things first, your gonna be a little rusty so know need to worry about it. Just know going in that its been awhile and it's ok. The more you worry about it the worse it's gonna be. I would reccomend an easy first flight patterns, slopes then a few autos and hover autos. Just relax and have fun!

• Like 1

Welcome back bud! Have you made it back to Prescott yet?

I'm of the impression that this is going to be like riding a bike. You've already built the foundation for the skills. Expect there to be some general rustiness, but know that it'll all come back to you... just like riding a bike.

• Like 1

it is exactly like RTB said....its like riding a bike! 30 min to an hour you will be right back where you left off. i took a 6 month break right in the middle of my instrument. i was nervous just like you are, but after i shook off the cobwebs my confidence came back. the second i lifted her up into a stable hover it felt so great to be in the air again, i felt like i had been flying for months. i was back to private standards after the first flight. dont sweat it.

• Like 1

Welcome back bud! Have you made it back to Prescott yet?

I'm of the impression that this is going to be like riding a bike. You've already built the foundation for the skills. Expect there to be some general rustiness, but know that it'll all come back to you... just like riding a bike.

Not yet man. Due back in Prescott the last week of July. Can't wait to get back. I'm hoping that's how it goes.