PRK Waiver Timeframe

Does anyone have an idea of how long PRK waivers have been taking recently? My recruiter submitted mine four months ago and after getting after her to check the status she finally said it was lost and they resubmitted last week. I have not had a flight physical yet so I assume it is being submitted to the big Army waiver system and not Rucker Aeromed, correct?

One more question that I can't seem to find a straight answer for. I know the regulations say that you are disqualified if you cannot pass the Ishihara plates OR the FALANT. I have trouble with most of the Ishihara plates but I am 99% confident I could pass the FALANT as I have no trouble with reds and greens (and passed the red green flash cards at MEPS with ease. Did anyone on here fail the Ishihara, pass the FALANT, and get medically qualified?

Thanks, everyone!

-Chris

One more question that I can't seem to find a straight answer for. I know the regulations say that you are disqualified if you cannot pass the Ishihara plates OR the FALANT. I have trouble with most of the Ishihara plates but I am 99% confident I could pass the FALANT as I have no trouble with reds and greens (and passed the red green flash cards at MEPS with ease. Did anyone on here fail the Ishihara, pass the FALANT, and get medically qualified?

Thanks, everyone!

-Chris

Chris, I had that exact problem with the Ishihara. Failed it at MEPS(for another service), then actually failed the FALANT too (without vision acuity correction). I was tired and dehydrated at the time, and my vision without correction is about 20/30. The FALANT simulates lights at a distance, and distance vision isn't good at 20/30. Colors are also less obvious, and seemed very difficult to focus on.

I was crushed, and pissed. Decided to submit a WOFT packet anyway(after changing services), got sent to my flight physical, and passed the FALANT, this time using glasses that corrected me to 20/15. Made every single one, too. They gave me a "Color Safe" notation on my flight physical and I was selected by the May board.

However, it was a bit of a struggle when I went back to MEPS to sign my contract. MEPS insisted I was colorblind, and they wouldn't let me retake the FALANT for them. Apparently Army recruits at MEPS who fail the Ishihara go straight to the Plate Test, skipping the FALANT? I don't know.

Anyway, after about a 2 hour emotional rollarcoaster, several phone calls between my awesome recruiter and his battalion commander and (I think) people at Ft Rucker Medical, they agreed the Class 1A Physical overruled the MEPS physical results, and they let me sign my contract.

If this happens to you, don't let the MEPS people get the best of you. Go to the CMO. Go to your recruiter. Go to the Army office. Don't let them tell you you're colorblind and can't continue to process, especially if you pass the FALANT for your Class 1A.

It was a struggle. I would strongly insist that if your eyes aren't perfect, you get glasses for the sole purpose of passing the FALANT. They provide instantaneous correction, whereas contacts are slightly slower due to your tears and whatnot. This is only what my eye doctor described to me, but I believe it.

It stressed me out more than anything when I went to my flight physical. I was literally almost sick sitting in the optometry office. I'm actually a little worried about it still when I get to Rucker. I think it'll be something I'll always have to prove in my career, unfortunately.

Let me know if you have any other questions about what I had to do. Resources on this exact particular situation are difficult to find because they are rather rare.

• Like 1

I had a similar experience but had to take my petitions beyond the recruiting battalion. I wrote most of it up here:

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/16094-woft-and-color-vision/?hl=vision

I also posted the regulations that give very specific details about how the color vision evaluation is supposed to go if you do not pass the color plates. Let me know if you have more questions.

I had PRK done a while back. My understanding is it usually takes on average six months. But could take longer or shorter depending on the flow of applicants. It Also depending on how recent surgery was.

That's what I was afraid of. I have already had a 4 month setback due to my paperwork for the waiver getting lost somehow.

Off topic, but did you go to Texas A&M? Looks like it from your username. I graduated in 2011.

I am very familiar with the color vision stuff. Pm me.

PM sent.

Chris, I had that exact problem with the Ishihara. Failed it at MEPS(for another service), then actually failed the FALANT too (without vision acuity correction). I was tired and dehydrated at the time, and my vision without correction is about 20/30. The FALANT simulates lights at a distance, and distance vision isn't good at 20/30. Colors are also less obvious, and seemed very difficult to focus on.

I was crushed, and pissed. Decided to submit a WOFT packet anyway(after changing services), got sent to my flight physical, and passed the FALANT, this time using glasses that corrected me to 20/15. Made every single one, too. They gave me a "Color Safe" notation on my flight physical and I was selected by the May board.

However, it was a bit of a struggle when I went back to MEPS to sign my contract. MEPS insisted I was colorblind, and they wouldn't let me retake the FALANT for them. Apparently Army recruits at MEPS who fail the Ishihara go straight to the Plate Test, skipping the FALANT? I don't know.

Anyway, after about a 2 hour emotional rollarcoaster, several phone calls between my awesome recruiter and his battalion commander and (I think) people at Ft Rucker Medical, they agreed the Class 1A Physical overruled the MEPS physical results, and they let me sign my contract.

If this happens to you, don't let the MEPS people get the best of you. Go to the CMO. Go to your recruiter. Go to the Army office. Don't let them tell you you're colorblind and can't continue to process, especially if you pass the FALANT for your Class 1A.

It was a struggle. I would strongly insist that if your eyes aren't perfect, you get glasses for the sole purpose of passing the FALANT. They provide instantaneous correction, whereas contacts are slightly slower due to your tears and whatnot. This is only what my eye doctor described to me, but I believe it.

It stressed me out more than anything when I went to my flight physical. I was literally almost sick sitting in the optometry office. I'm actually a little worried about it still when I get to Rucker. I think it'll be something I'll always have to prove in my career, unfortunately.

Let me know if you have any other questions about what I had to do. Resources on this exact particular situation are difficult to find because they are rather rare.

That does sound like a rollercoaster! Glad you finally got it cleared up. Your story sounds a lot like av8rnik that he posted below. Luckily I had PRK last July, so my distance vision is good. I passed the plate test (red/green cards) at MEPS, but was worried about the flight physical. Looks like it might end up being a mess, but one that I can get through by standing my ground. Thanks a bunch for your help! I will definitely keep you in mind if I have any more questions, as I am sure I will.

I had a similar experience but had to take my petitions beyond the recruiting battalion. I wrote most of it up here:

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/16094-woft-and-color-vision/?hl=vision

I also posted the regulations that give very specific details about how the color vision evaluation is supposed to go if you do not pass the color plates. Let me know if you have more questions.

Sent you a PM. Thanks again for your help!

Compared to Nik, sounds like I had it easy. At least mine got resolved with MEPS the same day.

Nik, how did it go when you got to Rucker?

No issue. I did my first flight physical a couple weeks ago (just after graduating WOCS). I told the nurse when she pulled out the color vision test with the numbers that i am color deficient. She went straight to the FALANT, got 10/10 and moved on. I had my packet flight physical with me just in case there was an issue. in that one it was noted that i am color safe. i ended up having to do the color circles anyway so they could record a score, almost passed amazingly enough. They did another test i guess to verify the color safe status and i was done. I dont know where the issue originated from for me. I honestly think it was MEPS but where ever it was, people were not reading the regs and i wasnt going to let someone else's oversight stop me from getting here. The way i understand it, as long as you can continue to get 10/10 on the FALANT you will be fine.

My flight physical i just did should also cover me through he entirety of flight school. So hopefully i will have my wings before i have to worry about it again.

Edited by av8rnik

Compared to Nik, sounds like I had it easy. At least mine got resolved with MEPS the same day.

Nik, how did it go when you got to Rucker?

I heard a story just like av8rnik (on here I believe) that the guy went through almost the same stuff. He had to get his congressman involved and the whole bit. In the end he just became very tired of fighting with it all and moved on with his life. He never got to fly despite being selected. Hearing his story was very discouraging, but hearing yours and av8rnik's stories are good information.