Tall Helicoper Pilots

Question for the board

I'm 6'4" and looking at helicopter flight training. I was wondering if any other tall pilots here could help me in choosing the right helicopter to train in.

I know the R-22 is the standard today, but I fear I maybe too tall to fit inside. If anyone here has trained in this helicopter, and your tall like me can you tell me how you did, and any tips for me?

If there is any other bird I should be looking at that could be more user friendly with my height, tell me please.

Thanks!

• Like 3

I am 6'2" and found ways to manage the R-22. 180 autos were a bit of a contortion act to get that left knee out of the dang way, but otherwise not too bad.

The R-44 trainers had adjustable pedals......and were tons more comfortable to fly with my height.

One of the schools current instructors is close to 6'4" and he like myself managed both birds.

I am 6'4" and did all of my primary training in the R22. It was doable, but far from pleasant. Aside from the obvious constraints, the most difficult was theT-bar cyclic competed for space with my left leg/knee. It was really bad when wearing a kneeboard. I would suggest that you train in either a Schweizer or R44 if you can and avoid the R22 all together, all other considerations being equal.

Edited by Carpenter

Question for the board

I'm 6'4" and looking at helicopter flight training. I was wondering if any other tall pilots here could help me in choosing the right helicopter to train in.

I know the R-22 is the standard today, but I fear I maybe too tall to fit inside. If anyone here has trained in this helicopter, and your tall like me can you tell me how you did, and any tips for me?

If there is any other bird I should be looking at that could be more user friendly with my height, tell me please.

Thanks!

If you are interested in flying for fun as a Private Pilot, comfort should definitely be a deciding factor in what you fly. However, if you are interested in flying professionally, having experience in the aircraft that almost everyone uses (the R22) is far more valuable. The most competitive candidate is one w/ experience in all 3 trainers (R22, S300, R44). That being said, here is my experience when it comes to comfort.

I'm 6'4" w/ my shoes off. You'll fit in the R22, but it will be cramped. I distinctly remember my head touching the top of the cabin (when sitting upright) and being shoulder to shoulder w/ the other occupant. Combine that with the ridiculous T-Bar cyclic (see more on that below) and you feel like you're driving a clown car.

The S300 is a fantastic helicopter. Much more comfortable than the R22 and much more forgiving as a training aircraft (higher useful load, better cockpit visibility, easier to hover, heavier rotor system, stronger skid design). I wear a helmet, and did slouch just a little to avoid my head touching the back part of the bubble canopy. But still more headroom, shoulder space and leg room than the R22. The downside is that it flies in a nose-low attitude while in cruise due to the fully articulated rotor design, which can cause quite a bit of back discomfort on longer flights (w/ the semi-rigid rotor design of the R22/R44, you will fly in a more level attitude).

The R44 is a vast improvement compared to the R22 in terms of performance and comfort. My biggest complaint from a comfort stand-point is the pedal position and the cyclic T-Bar. Even w/ the pedals set all the way back, there is not enough room for me to comfortably extend my legs. As a result, my left leg is bent in such a way that the lower portion of the center console is blocked and I cannot see the avionics unless I tilt the T-Bar and move my leg. Also, after about 2 hours of flying w/out getting out to stretch, my legs start to cramp up. The T-Bar requires a very unusual grip for my orangutan arms, obstructs my reach of the center lower console and is constantly being hit by customers trying to take pictures. An absolutely horrible cyclic design that feels very clumsy. On the positive, the seat position is fantastic; slightly reclined, almost like being in a lounge chair. If the pedals were a bit further back and it was designed w/ a traditional cyclic, it would be pretty darn close to perfect.

Out of those three helicopters, the R44 is certainly the most comfortable (and significantly more expensive to operate). For tall/wide people, the S300 is 2nd. Shorter people would probably find the R22 more comfortable because of the cruise attitude.

Regardless, your height won't prevent you from flying any of them.

*Edited to rant more about the T-bar

Edited by Hand_Grenade_Pilot

I'm 6'1 and hated being stuffed in a Robbie so switched to an Enstrom. No cockpit size issues in that one. I still feel cramped in a 44. But like other comments have said, having that magic 22/44 combo and even some S300 or Enstrom time just makes you more marketable if your in it for the job, which I was not.

I am 6'3" and my experience is limited to the 206, OH-58, and the Schweizer 300. I was a bit cramped in the 206, even more in the 58, and the 300 was so roomy it was scary! LOL.

I chose to do my training at a school that has 300s and 44s.