Questions About Safe Helicopter Altitudes

What is the maximum altitude a healthy helicopter pilot can continuously fly for an indefinite amount of time without any signs of altitude sickness or use of supplemental oxygen?

Under 10,000 feet?

Under 9,000 feet?

No more than 8,000 feet??? This is often the cabin altitude of commercial jets that passengers including babies and old people fly in.

What is the maximum altitude a healthy German Shepherd dog can continuously fly in a helicopter without any appreciable signs of altitude sickness or the provisions for supplemental oxygen?

If I keep my bird limited to "timber threshold altitude" are my hounds and I OK? That is I fly not much higher than the elevation the trees stand in the mountains.

Timber threshold altitude (unless there is a better scientific term for this) = the altitude in the mountains at which natural vegetation ceases to grow. About 8,500 feet. One man I know referred to this altitude as the "tree line", but that is the northern latitude limits for tree life in Alaska.

• Like 1

Definitely start by checking out the regs. Robbies are also limited to 9,000' AGL even if they're below 12,500'. So also check your POH.

I've climbed several 14'ers (mountains above 14,000') and have never felt altitude sickness but I have some friends who get altitude sickness just driving over some of the 10,000' passes here. But there are always people on the mountain hiking with their dogs at that elevation and they appear to do just fine. So just like everything else in flying - you'll want to evaluate for yourself to see how you react. But for a lot of people and pets it's no problem being at higher altitudes without any supplemental O2 or side affects.

You are right to be concerned about the effects of hypoxia on the pilot of an aircraft.

But it seems you are much more concerned about your dog.

I don't get that.

Animals are much more resistant to hypoxia than humans.

Are you the guy that started the thread about pressurizing your helicopter for your dog ?

"A fatal plane crash in Indiana on Wednesday is thought to be caused by the 43-year-old pilot suffering from hypoxia - a lack of oxygen. The plane was a single-engine propeller M20M Mooney registered to David Eyde, who has ownership interest in Eyde Co., a Lansing-based real estate development company.

Pilots flying F-16s were sent to intercept the erratically flying plane, and reported the plane crashed on its own. Pilots must use oxygen when flying above 12,500 feet for over 30 minutes in order to prevent hypoxia. Controllers in Indianapolis reported the plane had been circling with the pilot slumped over in the seat at about 25,000 feet. A pilot can become incapacitated at that altitude in only 3 minutes. Air traffic controllers in Minneapolis had given the pilot permission to fly at 25,000 feet, suggesting the pilot knowingly flew to that altitude and then lost consciousness.

In 1999, the plane carrying pro golfer Payne Stewart crashed killing Stewart and four others as a result of everyone on board losing consciousness from lack of oxygen after a loss in cabin pressure. "

edit +

Edited by aeroscout

Honestly It depends, There is no right or wrong awnser to your question. This is due to the fact that altitude has a different effect on each person. Each individual person and animal has a slight different dependence on Oxygen. This is why some people can make it to the top of Mount Everest while others get altitude sickness before reaching the summit.

I have had crew members get sick at 10,000 and on other days they were fine at 12,000 +.

http://www.vetinfo.com/altitude-sickness-in-dogs.html#b

The highest I have flown with a K-9 is about 5,000 ft.

If you are really interested in this you may want to look at the special ops and what they do with their dogs. I know they jump with their dogs from high altitudes.

Dogs%2Bof%2BWar.jpg

We have a Flight Rule for that in Canada:

605.32 (1) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 10,000 feet ASL but not exceeding 13,000 feet ASL, each crew member shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for any part of the flight at those altitudes that is more than 30 minutes in duration.

(2) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 13,000 feet ASL, each person on board the aircraft shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for the duration of the flight at those altitudes.

We have a Flight Rule for that in Canada:

605.32 (1) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 10,000 feet ASL but not exceeding 13,000 feet ASL, each crew member shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for any part of the flight at those altitudes that is more than 30 minutes in duration.

(2) Where an aircraft is operated at cabin-pressure-altitudes above 13,000 feet ASL, each person on board the aircraft shall wear an oxygen mask and use supplemental oxygen for the duration of the flight at those altitudes.

His question isn't really about regs it's about what is healthy for a pilot to fly at..

The regs are

His question isn't really about regs it's about what is healthy for a pilot to fly at..

The regs are based in high altitude testing and experience, so based on that, a very good answer to his question, "What is the maximum altitude a healthy helicopter pilot can continuously fly for an indefinite amount of time without any signs of altitude sickness or use of supplemental oxygen" , would be: 10,000 feet.

The regs are

The regs are based in high altitude testing and experience, so based on that, a very good answer to his question, "What is the maximum altitude a healthy helicopter pilot can continuously fly for an indefinite amount of time without any signs of altitude sickness or use of supplemental oxygen" , would be: 10,000 feet.

It's a awnser not thee awnser it's really just a reg and it differs from other country's regs so I don't mean to be argumentitve but regurgitating regulations isn't really helping the conversation as I'm fairly certain the original poster can do that for themselves.