Interested in WOFT

• 9 months later...

So I want to first thank everyone who gave me their opinions months ago and also say ya'll were absolutely correct about how the turbine or NVG time can be pointless to waste money on as a student. I haven't done them nor do I plan on doing them.

So a quick little update, I have now gotten my instrument rating and commercial license. My weakest area continues to be PT, I haven't stuck with the commitment of working out but I plan on changing that this summer. I initially said that my graduation date would be May 2016, but it is looking like it will end up being December 2016 and I have no idea if I will be able to continue with using the GI Bill for flight training.

On top of all the stuff going on in congress, after 3 semesters of flight training with no issues, after I finished the 4th I received a copy of a letter that was sent to my school saying that flight training is not authorized for my degree program. Long story short I go to Embry Riddle in Prescott and they contract helicopter flight training out to a separate company, that company has an agreement with a community college for VA training. It was then approved that ERAU students could conduct flight training through the community college by simply filling out paperwork to take courses at another college. As far as I know I am one of the few not doing a Aeronautical Science degree, so I imagine that could be the issue there, despite declaring a minor in helicopter flight and following that program.

My graduation date is changing because I have been offered an internship in the fall at a US Embassy in one of their Regional Security Offices. This has kinda put a kink in my planned timeline because instead of prepping for the ASVAB and SIFT this summer I am having to study Arabic. I think I will try and push on and get the ASVAB taken care of this summer, and try and take the SIFT right when I return home. While overseas I am going to try and see if I can workout some with the Marine Security Detachment at the Embassy, if not I'll just do it on my own.

I already spoke with a recruiter some last summer and he was interested in helping and gave me some information and what not. However this was while I was at home, and not at school where I imagine I will be doing a majority of the work to apply.

So right now my goals are to try and study for the ASVAB and get working out again. While overseas try and network some and while I doubt that there will be any aviators there, at least possibly see if I could get a LOR out of my supervisor at the embassy, along with write an essay and have one of my professors proofread it when I return. When I return take the SIFT and network some to try and meet some Army Aviators to try and get a LOR.

Again, thanks for all the help guys and gal.

edit: I also already have gone through the process of getting a security clearance. I imagine I will have to go through again, but at least it should be easier the second time through.

Edited by A-aron
  • Like 1