Initial Flight Training

Gary-mike, I wish. NFL players are some of the greatest athletes in the world, and I'm slightly above average in my school. So, I think I will train in the 22 and then move to the 44 once I outgrow the weight limits. Most schools around here are just above sea level so high DA should not be a major issue.

A-aron are you a college student? You mentioned semester... If so, where are you flying?

I'm at Embry Riddle in Prescott, AZ. I was already here with a non-aviation related degree when I found out I could also fly which is something I've always wanted to do.

Hi Spencer, I would reccomend getting a degree in something other then aviation or at least something that can be used in mulitipule aspects of the field. I went to one of those bigger universities and majored in an aviation specific topic. Now that I'm getting older and considering the what-ifs in life I feel that I may have pigeon holed myself and could possibly be screwed if I decided to get out of being a line pilot or for heavens sake lost my medical (knock on wood). If you do decide that an aviation university is the way you want to go maybe you don't want to start your flight training right now. Save your money up for school. At the school I went to it doesn't matter if you came in with previous ratings you would still need to repeat at least some of your training so that would be an extra cost you have already paid for once before getting your ratings.

As for the R22 vs. 300 debate, I personally don't think it matters which one you train in, however I would strongly reccomend training in what you will most likely be instructing in. Maybe visit a couple different schools at first. Fly both aircraft and see which one's feel more comfortable for you. That's also a great way for you to get a feel for those possible companies you may train with and find which one you mesh with best.

Spike- My parents know I have loved everything that flies since preschool so they have grown accoustomed to flying. They were thrilled with me attending FW flight training, but still a little worried about RW. After going on their first helicopter ride last week they seemed much more into the idea. They strongly encourage the idea of student first, and all other priorities such as athletics and flying are second. That means they do not entertain the idea of a flying degree from UND/SUU/USU, so I would likely major in something other than flying.

It sounds like you have your priorities straight and to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting you get an aviation degree. I was speaking in general terms as in; get a bachelor’s degree in whatever floats your boat. Moreover, I also meant, you should finish your education before you attempt to make a career out of this. Specifically, I suggest separating the two. That is, go to college and get the degree knocked out and after that, attend a flight school to gain the certification required for entry-level employment. Emersion and momentum are key elements for flight training which is exactly opposite for college…. Be patient, do your work and the helicopter business will be here when you’re ready…….

Spike and AngeFire- Thanks for the help. My plan is actually to attend a college with an aviation program and either double major in aviation and a business field. However, I believe it will result to where I can play football, and then that will dictate where I will continue training, either a local FBO or within the university. I have a few more years until I graduate, so lots can happen.