Best and worst

Iridus

3 clear favorites for me. For small helicopters the MD 500 series (D, E, F) is unbeatable. It's the most rock solid OGE hover out there. For the heavy end of the light category the AS 350 (b2, b3)…..they landed one on Everest for crying out loud! And in the medium category the Bell 205. It's an iconic helicopter and the A1++ version really doesn't have competition. It would actually be kinda nice if it did. I don't have heavy time so I won't weigh in there.

I've always wanted to fly the Lama! That thing is just cool.

• Like 2

The R22 is by far the most useless helicopter I've ever flown.

The 500E was the most fun and versatile. So I would say the 500 is the best I've flown so far. The jet ranger is great. The Huey.... I love doing fire so with the Huey it's the missions you get to do that I like most about it. It's pretty neat also to look behind you and see 8 people sitting behind you in a helicopter.

• Like 2

Awww come on hating on the little R-22. Its just slightly larger than a drone and most of us enjoyed going full retard learning autos in these!

The R22 is by far the most useless helicopter I've ever flown.

The 500E was the most fun and versatile. So I would say the 500 is the best I've flown so far. The jet ranger is great. The Huey.... I love doing fire so with the Huey it's the missions you get to do that I like most about it. It's pretty neat also to look behind you and see 8 people sitting behind you in a helicopter.

Woah. So useless you got ratings in it? As a former Robbie Ranger I have to take issue with this statement. A 22 wasn't built to fight fires. It was to provide cheap and safe flight for 2 people. I think it fills that use pretty well. You can compare it to a S92 and call the Robby useless but that's like comparing the clap to AIDS.

• Like 2

Woah. So useless you got ratings in it? As a former Robbie Ranger I have to take issue with this statement. A 22 wasn't built to fight fires. It was to provide cheap and safe flight for 2 people. I think it fills that use pretty well. You can compare it to a S92 and call the Robby useless but that's like comparing the clap to AIDS.

Yeah..... I did do my cfi (as you know) and my inst add on in one. the quality of instruction I received had nothing to do with the airframe I was flying. The question didn't ask what purposes the airframes are best and worst for. In my particular path to flying the R22 was a short lived necessary evil. I will say the times I flew with you in the 44 I was pretty impressed with it.

Did you fly with Dan? I can't be the quality instructor you speak of. I can see in the grand scheme of things, in the utility market the 22 is about as useless as it could get but every helicopter has filled a niche and is useful in its own way. My jetranger feels useless when it's 104 out.

• Like 1

Best--V-22 Osprey. Does that count?

Worst--Don't really have one. The TH-57C was the least enjoyable of the 8 I've flown in the pilots seat (5 with reasonable time in), but it does what it does. It's not a bad machine.

Easy there, guy! He said helicopter. Not "monstrosity".... haha

• Like 1