In person security clearance interview

Burner_605:

As a rule the in-person interview is at the beginning of the process. This is for the investigator to meet you and to verify that you are the person that they have the paperwork (SF-86) on.

The investigator will check your ID, and go over the basic sections of the SF-86 to make sure it is complete. You will possibility have to initial each page in the bottom right corner to verify each page as being accurate and complete.

Once that is done, then they set out to actually do the gathering of your information such as, college transcripts, marriage &/or divorce papers, professional licenses, bankruptcy (if any) and any other items that they are required to get themselves. Some of these they may have actually already gathered before coming to meet you. Yes, you may have already provided these items, but some are required that they get independent of you.

You are free to ask the person questions about the process and to add anything that you might have missed putting onto the form. They will ask about past addresses to make sure they have all of them because, they or others will conduct neighborhood interviews where you have lived. Better you tell them vs them finding it out.

That is pretty much it, very relaxed and just to verify stuff. Done.

Now later in the process, if they have to return to clarify something or some "red flag" comes out the the investigation, then they will return for another interview. This could be done by the same person but, most likely will be by another person. In the background investigation world it is called a "spin" interview. To clear up any loose ends.

Then the completed package is certified complete in the system and your package goes before the "adjudication board." This board has the final say as to you receiving your clearance or not. If unfavorable, there are some appeal rights but that is for another post.

Main thing is, like mentioned before, be honest, complete and forthright and you should have no problems.

Hope this gives some insight.

Good luck,

edspilot

• Like 1

I thought with a secret they just did a NACLC with no interviews with neighbors etc.

The best way for me to explain the current process is, "nothing is normal" anymore. Ever since the Snowden event(s) everything changes from year-to-year even month-to-month. It is to the point if you see something negative on tv, something in the personnel security will change.

Having said this, generally you are correct but, it is an election year,,, politics and image is everything.

Be safe,

edspilot

The best way for me to explain the current process is, "nothing is normal" anymore. Ever since the Snowden event(s) everything changes from year-to-year even month-to-month. It is to the point if you see something negative on tv, something in the personnel security will change.

Having said this, generally you are correct but, it is an election year,,, politics and image is everything.

Be safe,

edspilot

So what else is involved? Are there employer interviews etc?

Are you talking about MEPS interview? Or somebody meeting you at the recruiters office?

The MEPS interview is standard, the second one is when they are digging deeper.

Just don't change your mind about anything. Get your recruiter to print off your SF86 and you can review it. They should be doing that with you anyway.

The "ah hah" "oh yeah" "what I meant to say was" is what will stop you in your tracks.

So what else is involved? Are there employer interviews etc?

As a general rule, employers are not interviewed for secret as long as the time lines match up in your dates. Any gaps more than 30 days must be explained, (between schools, employment and the like). Employers will be emailed or mailed a verification letter to just verify the approximate dates and title of position. If your dates match their info then nothing more is done.

Criminal history is important to make sure you are complete. They will be checked in every state you have lived and if you lived in a major city, the city will be checked too.

If anything comes up as a "red flag" then more in depth looking is done.

Remember, the investigator is not trying to "trick" you or to have your package dis-approved. They are just a finder of fact and someone else is going to make the assessment as to your fitness for the clearance.

Probably the most "fear or concern" comes in two areas, credit and ex-spouses. First the credit, always disclose the negative in your credit history because, they will find that out. If you have late pays on your history, have a reason ready for it and how you handled it. Bankruptcy is not a disqualifier alone, as long as you disclose it. Disclose, disclose and disclose, always.

Ex-spouses, first,, the investigators know that the "ex" is usually one-sided More than likely 90 % negative. The adjudicators also know this and the "weight" is considered. Having said this, there can be no domestic abuse as this is very negative and will be looked at extensively.

Like I have said, be honest, complete and forthright in all of your answers and you will do fine.

I hope this helps.

Any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to offer answer.

Be safe,

edspilot