After wocs? Questions

So i am a street to seat candidate and my packet is in for Monday's board just had some questions for people who have recently finished WOCS and are about to go to flight school!

1. Are vehicles needed? I want to preferable save a couple paychecks after WOCS to get a car, even tho im forced to get a house either on or off base. also since im going to to sell my current car because i have to go to basic and WOCS and i dont have a place to put it.

2. Whats the average timeline of events from WOCS to flight school?

3. How does housing work on base being single and 18, with having no prior service or knowledge of it?

4. And are people friendly at Rucker? i heard its a nicer base

1. Yes, you need a vehicle. If you live on post you could get away with just a bicycle for a while but a car is a lot easier. Why not keep what you have and find a place to store it? After basic you should be able to get it and drive to Rucker and there's a storage lot it stays in while in WOCS.

2. It will vary depending on when you get slotted into classes but it's a few months. Unless it's changed over the years you'll do about 3 months WOBC/BOLC (whatever they call it now) and SERE prior to starting aeromed and flight academics. It usually takes 1.5-2 years from showing up at Rucker to PCSing to your first unit.

3. You should be able to get a place in line for on post housing when you report to WOCS and potentially have a house to move into upon completion. That all depends on availability and the length of the wait-list. If you want to live offpost you'll get $1059/month for housing. 

4. Rucker is a pretty decent post. People are like everywhere else, some are nice, some are dicks. 

2 hours ago, Thedude said:

1. Yes, you need a vehicle. If you live on post you could get away with just a bicycle for a while but a car is a lot easier. Why not keep what you have and find a place to store it? After basic you should be able to get it and drive to Rucker and there's a storage lot it stays in while in WOCS.

2. It will vary depending on when you get slotted into classes but it's a few months. Unless it's changed over the years you'll do about 3 months WOBC/BOLC (whatever they call it now) and SERE prior to starting aeromed and flight academics. It usually takes 1.5-2 years from showing up at Rucker to PCSing to your first unit.

3. You should be able to get a place in line for on post housing when you report to WOCS and potentially have a house to move into upon completion. That all depends on availability and the length of the wait-list. If you want to live offpost you'll get $1059/month for housing. 

4. Rucker is a pretty decent post. People are like everywhere else, some are nice, some are dicks. 

thankyou and i appreciate it, and it would cost like 1k to store it for basic tho

2 hours ago, Thedude said:

also how long after wocs do you have to move into a house, and bring stuff to it?

10 minutes ago, Axesteel said:

thankyou and i appreciate it, and it would cost like 1k to store it for basic tho

Then sell it and buy one right after WOCS. Depending on what you have you can rent a 10x20 storage unit for less than $150/month to park it in while in basic.

7 minutes ago, Axesteel said:

also how long after wocs do you have to move into a house, and bring stuff to it?

You'll have enough time. Your situation is pretty normal and they deal with it at Rucker all the time.

1 minute ago, Thedude said:

Then sell it and buy one right after WOCS. Depending on what you have you can rent a 10x20 storage unit for less than $150/month to park it in while in basic.

You'll have enough time. Your situation is pretty normal and they deal with it at Rucker all the time.

oh ok, understandable and seeing alot of delays after wocs till the start of flight school is that true?

3 minutes ago, Thedude said:

That's highly variable. Some people make it through with very few breaks between classes. I had a combined six months of time between different phases of training by the time I finished. 

geeze, thats alot of time. guessing you where assigned to do tasks while waiting? or where you just off

8 hours ago, Axesteel said:

geeze, thats alot of time. guessing you where assigned to do tasks while waiting? or where you just off

Anything that B Co (the holding/managing company for when you're not in class) comes up with. W1s at Rucker are like privates anywhere else so police call details around the post are common. I lucked out and spent a bunch of time on funeral details traveling around AL/FL/GA with friends having a good time.