Veracity Aviation or Lone Star Helicopter?

LFC4LIFE

Hello helicopter community,

I have recently decided to quit my full time job and pursue a career as a helicopter pilot. During my previous job life I was lucky enough to save up enough cash to pursue a private, commercial, IR, and CFI/II and plan to go to school full time. I'm located in Austin and am wondering if anyone has had experience with either Veracity Aviation (georgetown location) or Lone Star Helicopter? My other question is if a variety of aircraft is important for gaining hours on different machines. After making some calls I've gathered Veracity only has R22's and R44's while Lone Star has R22, R44, R66 (turbine) and a Schwizer 300. Would you pick a school based on what aircraft they have?

Thanks so much for your help! 

Well, as far as the helicopter you get your ratings in, I would say Robinson. They are still the dominant force in the flight school business. You could branch out and get some Schweizer time but honestly, I know several guys who've had great careers and never sat in a Schweizer. I personally have never visited those schools but in my training it was as simple as do your own research, go to all the schools you are considering. Meet the owners, even if it's just for a minute or two. Maybe talk to some CFIs and get the front line opinions. Listen to your brain and your gut feeling. LOTS of pilots have egos the size of small countries and will try to make you think their opinion is what you should listen too but at the end of the day, it's your money, your choice, your time. Best of luck!

I have a vacation home on Lake Travis and have met both groups.  Steve at Lone Star is a good guy and appears to run a good operation.  Next time I have my Enstrom down there we are going to get together and have him give me a tour of the greater Austin Area.

The downside is that (as far as I know) he is a one man show.  I could be wrong on this so check.  I did not realize that he has a full range of helis available.  Just know that if he is unavailable you are not flying.

Veracity has at least 2 different locations and a number of instructors and ships available. I have flown with one of their guys in a R44 out of the Georgetown location.  Having multiple instructors is a real bonus for many reasons including availability and perspective.  There is an interesting video series on YouTube taking a new guy all the way through his CFI at Veracity.  I can't remember the guys name but I think he instructs there.

Depending on where you live it can be a bitch getting to Lago Vista airport KRYW.

Good luck and enjoy

On 9/23/2021 at 7:01 PM, LFC4LIFE said:

My other question is if a variety of aircraft is important for gaining hours on different machines. After making some calls I've gathered Veracity only has R22's and R44's while Lone Star has R22, R44, R66 (turbine) and a Schwizer 300. Would you pick a school based on what aircraft they have?

The more machines your qualified to teach in, the greater your options for your first teaching job. That being said, you must meet the SFAR teaching requirements for the Robinson products as they are the most common teaching platform being utilized in the training sector. After that and within those hours, get at least the minimum hours to teach in other machines like the 300. Otherwise, my subsequent decisions choosing a school would be based on; instructor turnover, school vibe, customer satisfaction/service, cost and job possibilities/placement. That is, all things being equal with aircraft condition, maintenance and company safety record......  

• 3 months later...

Lone Star is a great option if you prefer part 61.  Veracity's only format is part 141.  I started at Veracity, but moved to Lone Star to complete my training...and very happy I did.  Lone Star is more than a one man show these days.  All the guys are great.  Lago has cheapest fuel...jus sayin.