Active to Guard question

Hey everyone. I’m at Rucker now and I was told by my recruiter that I could switch from active to guard before my ten years is up so I can go to a university and help my family. As Guard would give me that flexibility. But after basic I’ve heard conflicting answers on whether or not it’s possible to make the switch just wanted to get a good answer if anyone can help me understand or just answer my question that would be awesome. 

On 10/8/2021 at 2:48 PM, Lumin said:

What did you figure out? I'd be curious to know just in case I ever need this information. 

I talked to a Chief and he said since it’s an ADSO you are owned by the regular army until after your 10 years; unless you get a conditional release into another component but that depends on if active needs the pilots or not. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 4:51 PM, JosiahDH said:

I talked to a Chief and he said since it’s an ADSO you are owned by the regular army until after your 10 years; unless you get a conditional release into another component but that depends on if active needs the pilots or not. 

I figured that would be the case. I would assume there is some sort of process to get it administratively approved for certain circumstances if you have sufficient justification to show that you need to be near family. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I bounced the idea off the reddit /armyaviation group. It seems there is less of a precedent for AD->Guard than Guard->AD. I ended up talking to the Guard Liaison who directed me to the Guard Recruiter. Im pretty good at pushing my agenda in situations like this, not as bad as an unleashed psychotic bible salesman, or a Karen at a HomeGoods, but I tried. It seems pretty impossible, at least at this time. Maybe needs of the Army will change this in the next few years.