Civilian Trained Pilots...

I'm hoping to get a decent sized contact list to those of you who trained civilian. I would like to know what you do now and how long it took you to get there. I'm also interested to know how you payed for your training. What loans did you use?

As of now, I'm thinking about going to either Hillsboro Aviation or Silverhawk Aviation (both schools are in the northwest).

Please feel free to PM me.

Eric

Now: Era Helicopters (previous, CFII @ Hummingbird Aviation, 2 yrs)

Trained at: Helicopter Adventures, about 13 months of training

Paid: from savings put away for just that purpose.

you're leaving Hummingbird??? :blink:
Eventually - I'm trying to pass the torch, and since I've been in (or traveling to-from) Lake Charles for

17 of the last 22 days (with probably another 10 - 20 days before I get back to Eden Prairie), I'd say the torch is pretty well passed. ;)

Hillsboro. I have a story.

We had finished our flight and another R-22 came in and landed. Two guys got out and the first guy was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. A minute later a guy in a tan flight suit walks in and orders gas for the copter. I read the name tag that said "Hillsboro Aviation, Helicopter CFII". He went and sat down and Nick and I looked at each other. I could tell Nick was rolling on the floor laughing his butt off inside his head by the slight smile on his face.

I think it was the flight suit.

Anyhow, I bet they have a good operation. I haven't heard anything bad, which is probably a good thing.

Later

Hillsboro. I have a story.

We had finished our flight and another R-22 came in and landed. Two guys got out and the first guy was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. A minute later a guy in a tan flight suit walks in and orders gas for the copter. I read the name tag that said "Hillsboro Aviation, Helicopter CFII". He went and sat down and Nick and I looked at each other. I could tell Nick was rolling on the floor laughing his butt off inside his head by the slight smile on his face.

I think it was the flight suit.

Anyhow, I bet they have a good operation. I haven't heard anything bad, which is probably a good thing.

Later

So what? I have a nametag that says Helicopter CFI. I damn proud to wear it. I even wear it on a flight suit sometimes.

I dare someone to laugh at my nametag which is display of hardwork, sacrifice and dedication. And don't forget the hard earned money.

I'm a civilian trained helicopter pilot and damn proud of it.

grabmeier,

A bit off the stated topic, but I checked out a couple of places in the Boise area about a week ago. Very impressed with Silverhawk. I'll probably end up going with them when I'm ready. Lynn was a great guy to talk to, and they seem to have a good operation. Let me know what your thoughts are on Silverhawk.

z

Now: Era Helicopters (previous, CFII @ Hummingbird Aviation, 2 yrs)

Trained at: Helicopter Adventures, about 13 months of training

Paid: from savings put away for just that purpose.

When do you start with Era Fling? I think my start date is mid Sep. Maybe we'll meet finally.

:)

Hi every one I'm new to this site but I have been monitoring this forum for quite a while now. I am planning on going to Silverhawk aviation in caldwell ,ID starting around november in fact I received my medical certificate today. I happen to live 5 minutes from silverhawk and have been there numerous times to talk to the owner Catherine. Like many I attended a (silver state workshop) :lol: and was not impressed especially when I mentioned I have a fixed wing license and they :rolleyes: . I then made the decision to look around and was pleasantly surprised to find Silverhawk aviation right by me. Anyone who is interested in this should call Silverhawk and just speak to them you will not find nicer people. Another neat thing is they will help you get financing for training and set it up so no payments are made till after you graduate. They do not require you to sign your life away on a contract and they only draw small portions at a time, (unlike you know who) plus you learn at your own pace.

Travis

I'm currently going to Silverhawk in Caldwell. I got my private there and am working on my instrument. It's a great school. Great people, great aircraft. I'd highly recommend it to those of you thinking about it. We also get the benefit of being really close to Boise and class C airspace but still getting the flexibility of training at an uncontrolled airport. Silverhawk also owns the fuel depot so if you need fuel, you just go get the fuel truck and fuel up...no waiting for someone to drive halfway around the airport. It's a pretty good deal all around.