Longline Mods for AS-350s

I saw a cyclic extender and pedal extension on an Astar in New Zealand for the right seat. I sat in it and it seemed to give you a little extra room to see the load. It also moved the pilots seat over closer to the door.

We used the collective and pedal extension in our B2 with favourable comment from the pilots.  With the B3 the twist grip prevents this mod and we are flying from the RH seat with standard control configuration.

Would be interested to hear from any pilots who have flown longline in a B3 with crashworthy seats, how do they compare to the standard seat for this sort of work?

Guest Heli HK

We have just purchased two left hand drive B3's and are installing a removable arm rest that is used by Temsco in Alaska. Their pilots say the arm rest makes a world of difference, but you must fly a 75ft line or longer to have good load visibility. Once we receive ours and test it out we will post our results.

• 3 weeks later...
We have just purchased two left hand drive B3's and are installing a removable arm rest that is used by Temsco in Alaska. Their pilots say the arm rest makes a world of difference, but you must fly a 75ft line or longer to have good load visibility. Once we receive ours and test it out we will post our results.

Hallo!

Can I have some pictures of this arm rest?

Thank you.

I don't have any photos of this armrest but it attaches to the back of the left seat and rests on the floor of the helicopter. Sort of like the armrest on some 205 setups.

It's very nice with the bubble window. Used it for fires and found a 100 foot line was perfect. I'll see if anyone has photos of it.

• 3 months later...
We have most of our B2's with the left seat mod and we have them all set up with the arm rests.  I have sent a photo of the install to vert ref admin and he can forward it on to you or you can email me at my link for photos.  We are in a very wet climate here and we also have fogging problems in the bubble window.  What we have done and you will see it in the photo is to pick up the cabin heat outlet under the pilot seat and routed it up the back of the seat and vent it into the bubble.  Works great and is a must if your in the mist.  Shaboo :P

• 8 months later...

Without any modification embodied (p.e. LH seat conf. or floor windows or modified controls, etc.) is the AS 350 a comfortable way to work in sling and fire fighting operations?

Above all considering that using an other helicopter type is not convenient for 'not operational' reasons.

thank guys!

we fly B3 on the right side with a dart window in the cabin floor and a crashwothy seat. It is probably not the best but it works. For very longline above 120ft we remove the doors.We are still waiting for a bubble window, a pitch extender and an instrument panel by the door certified by STC's