CEP kits???

CROOK

Ive used them for the last 7 years and they ROCK. I used them with a helmet, but Im sure it would be the same with headsets. I hated to fly without them.

It did take a few hours for some people to get used to them and get thier "technique" on how they arrange the cord, but I don't know many in Army Aviation who disliked them.

I actually fly with Bose X NC headset now in the airplane I fly, but find it's nowhere near as quiet and clear as with CEP's. I am actually looking at buying my own lightspeed headset that uses CEP type system and turning my Bose back in.

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/products-mach1Detail.asp

Hawkdriver

How do you find the actual helio noise I mean those ones we listen to in the background ? there always appears to be a new lot over forest, or sea. hate not hear the one that could be the precursor to larger problems?

At present we use Pilot DNC sets and apart from the actual bulk they are ok letting you talk and hear the P2 ok with just enough background noise.

The noise you're listening for comes through. Sounds in the voice range are less attenuated. I don't use CEPs as such, but I do use in-the-ear headsets which are similar, using foam earplugs instead of domes. ANR is superfluous with these, because they already provide higher noise reduction than regular ANR headsets. I get a NRR of 33 with the earplugs I use, and the attenuation at low and high frequencies is several dBs higher.

Hawkdriver

How do you find the actual helio noise I mean those ones we listen to in the background ? there always appears to be a new lot over forest, or sea. hate not hear the one that could be the precursor to larger problems?

At present we use Pilot DNC sets and apart from the actual bulk they are ok letting you talk and hear the P2 ok with just enough background noise.

Actually no not really. I can still hear all the normal stuff. It really is hard to explain. I can still hear minor changes in RPM (I have had many PI's not notice I pulled an engine off during training with and without CEP's) and never had a problem detecting minor auditory problems or out of the normal sounds.

I think the key is it reduces the decibels to a very low level and with the pass through tube allows direct connection to the ear with communications.

From what I can find, it looks like they are about $120ish for a set, and I'm assuming there is some soldering involved for use with a headset??? Outside of that, I can't seem to find a place to actually purchase them. One site has a checkout system, but I can't enter any numbers or see prices (not Firefox friendly maybe?).

On top of that, I'm using my old Marv Golden headset (it's the 'nice' one, not the cheapie). I'm assuming it's the same thing regardless of your headset (unless designed for them) that you have to do some cutting and splicing correct? Or are the CEP sets only for use with certain headsets/helmets?