Helo saw video

Wally

Any vids with a 500 in it, you can't go wrong! I will fly a 500.......Someday.

A question based on observation. At the beginning of the video, it seemed like that bird was bouncing all over the place like there were a bunch of aggressive control inputs. As the vidoe prgressed, the bird was stable and smooth. Was that potentially the pilot getting warmed up there at first, or is that SOP when having something hanging from the bottom of a helicopter? I know you have to fly the load so to speak, but it is that bumpy and bouncy all the time? Just asking, I am not trying to sharp shoot the pilot or anything.

I'm sure the work is challenging, but I don't consider it frightening. It seems to be a good system from what I've seen and heard. Hell I would sign up for the job right now if I met the company's experience requirements.

That is pretty crazy, anyone know how the saw is powered? I would imagine Hydraulically, does it have its own engine to power the hydraulic pump or what? I may be way off, but just was wondering. Cool vid by the way.

If you look at the top of the blades there's a black box containing a snow mobile engine.

But like everyone else has said, bloody scary.

I'd wonder if they have a problem keeping it straight while moving forward and cutting

• 2 months later...

wow... that is the most interesting device to ever be attached to a helicopter .. Is there anything out there that is more potentially dangerious to the pilot and machine? besides guns and missles?

It looked like the device pulls on the long line during cuts.. or the falling limb does it? anyway wonder how many cycles the pilot can do before he's shattered mentaly for the day?

more strange helicopter attachments BRING IT ON!!

Yikes if you look on the youtube replies to this video it states that the original pilot and owner of the Heli-SAW was KIA... this video was shot after that.. Here is the NTSB report about the flight...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=...A032&akey=1

Still this thing is just plain crazy..

Bring on more weridos...

Lost Heliboy-not KIA, but "The commercial pilot, sole occupant of the helicopter, was seriously injured. "

OK I stand corrected.. I'm glad he's still around and with us...

These are interesting as well.

Good stuff at this location... The harvaster looks like quiter a good design. How hard is it to thread the tree into the second loop? and what about log splintering when realeased?

Great footage!

Yikes if you look on the youtube replies to this video it states that the original pilot and owner of the Heli-SAW was KIA... this video was shot after that.. Here is the NTSB report about the flight...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=...A032&akey=1

Still this thing is just plain crazy..

Bring on more weridos...

Pilot did not die-

NTSB report states that pilot survived with serious injuries-