Bargain Brain Buckets

klmmarine

As a former Naval Enlisted aircrewman, I am having a hard time adjusting to not wearing a helmet in helicopters. I understand that there just isn't room in an R22 for a helmet but I am not going to be flying an R22 forever.

Buying a helmet is definately an expensive proposition, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck purchasing a helmet through ebay. There seems to be no shortage of SPH-5s for sale there, and although I would rather have the HGU that I flew with in the Navy, they were good enough for the USCG, so why not?

I am interested in input here and am hoping that you the forum will help me make an informed decision.

Thanks-

Keith

Keith, I collect helmets and have bought several off of Ebay...they have varied in condition from New to well worn. As with any lifesaving equipment, I would definitely have it checked out. I believe that flightsuits.com will inspect and repair as necessary on any helmet for a nominal fee. Good Luck....

Ryan

As a former Naval Enlisted aircrewman, I am having a hard time adjusting to not wearing a helmet in helicopters. I understand that there just isn't room in an R22 for a helmet but I am not going to be flying an R22 forever.

Buying a helmet is definately an expensive proposition, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck purchasing a helmet through ebay. There seems to be no shortage of SPH-5s for sale there, and although I would rather have the HGU that I flew with in the Navy, they were good enough for the USCG, so why not?

I am interested in input here and am hoping that you the forum will help me make an informed decision.

Thanks-

Keith

I am exArmy and have the same concern with flight equipment. I have 2 SPH-4s that I use in R22s. I got one on Ebay and only had to change the speakers and mike for less than $80 bucks at flightsuits.com. I am 5'8 and find I have plenty of room for me and a passenger both wearing SPH-4s. Have to watch the doors though. I bang my head a lot on the door if I am not careful looking to see if right side is clear.

I am exArmy and have the same concern with flight equipment. I have 2 SPH-4s that I use in R22s. I got one on Ebay and only had to change the speakers and mike for less than $80 bucks at flightsuits.com. I am 5'8 and find I have plenty of room for me and a passenger both wearing SPH-4s. Have to watch the doors though. I bang my head a lot on the door if I am not careful looking to see if right side is clear.

I am 6' and pushing the seat limit for the R22 so I am a little bigger. Would the lower profile of an HGU helmet be better for this? That is what I used to fly with. I only picked the SPH because they seem to be more readily available.