S58T

• 3 weeks later...

The hook is rated for 5000 pounds but we normally keep it down around 4600 for longevity. It will do it all day, those PT6's are rock solid reliable. I can't quote specifics but operating costs are compariable to a 212, depending on who you ask.

It's a shame Sikorsky dumped support for the aircraft. There isn't anything out there that is comparable in lift/cost.  Eventually the current operators will have to invest in some parts manufacture or larger, more expensive aircraft.

If there was a drawback to the aircraft, I would have to say it's in cruise. Normal cruise with a full bag of gas is 100 to 105 kts indicated, 110 to 115 after you burn off some gas.

Handling is very good, considering the size of the aircraft. This is in spite of the SAS being removed (the problem was parts availablity).

Probably the hardest thing to get used to is sitting up so high above the ground. The mast is about fourteen feet up and youre not much lower than that.

Over all, it is a very good aircraft.

• 1 year later...

The company I work for sold their's last spring, just after I was endorsed on the thing.  I was a little sad to see it go, but not too broken up about it. :;):   It was reasonably quick, as long as you kept it low.  Take it up in alt, and you had better watch your speed, or you'll be facing the sky in a hurry !!  Huge cabin !!!  Unfortunately there is only one Province that wanted it for firefighting, and little other work for it, so it was a dead-end for pilots.  Also wasn't thrilled when climbing up the side of it to open the trans cowling when it was blowing 20 kts, cold, raining, and you have to try to stretch past the logging window to open the one latch. :oops:   Long way down if you slip.   :crutches:   Didn't like the fact that there was no place to put extra maps, airport directory, etc up in the cockpit, got spoiled flying the Bell mediums I guess. :;):    I did enjoy my short time in the thing though, and taxiing around on the wheels sure was cool !!!   :D  

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...