UH-60

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/US/05/30/oreg...thood.accident/

and:

9/17/2002 - LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (AFPN) -- There were several factors contributing to the May 30 crash of an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter, according to Air Force officials in an accident investigation board report released Sept. 17.

These factors are inaccurate performance-planning data, cumbersome performance-planning charts, changing winds, the pilot's delayed execution of a planned escape route and use of a decertified method for confirming power numbers.

--Source

I can't find the thread about this video, but I seem to recall that he let the RPM droop and ended up in settling with power. While attempting to recover the main rotor hit the terrain. I don't know if that is the reason, but I think thats what the old thread said.

Photo,

I remember that same thread.

Not long after the crash on Mt Hood happened, I talked to someone who used to fly in that Unit. It is second or third hand, but he had mentioned that they were loaded with full gear and somehow overlooked the weight of it all. So thinking they were lighter than they were, initiating a lift of one of the injured climbers, and a slight downdraft off of the mountain at that instant all contributed to the loss of power. On the local news both the pilot and crew chief were hailed as heroes. Of course other than the critical error of the miscalculations, the pilot was able to keep the helicopter away from the rescue crews below and the crew chief was able to release the basket and spare the injured climber another tumble down the Mountain.

I hope I remember all that correctly (take it with a grain of salt),

-V5