Random Thoughts

I've gotten good questions and reponses

I think much of life is a matter of perspective and attitude. My perspective is a positive one because I believe you are, and achieve how you react to situations.

During training I could have moaned about lack of equipment - Broken, Double booked -- I chose to use that time to study and prepare.

I could have moaned about the delays caused by lack of instructors when a bunch quit to move on to better oppurtunities. I used that time to prepare.

Working as a CFI I could do the same moaning about lack of equipment and student cancelations. I choose to move forward and do what I can with what I can control -

My Attitude, Desire. Work Ethic, and Committent.

With that loan I could moan about how long it will take to pay off -- OR

I can use my attitude and desire to work extra days in the GOM which pays more and use that money to pay the loan off early.

SO -- I choose positive action and reaction that has put me in the postion I am now

I love flying helicopters - There are those days like any job

I live at 500 feet and 100 kts :) What do you do?

RW...

It is definitely about perspective and attitude...AGREED!

I'm glad you have chosen to deal with the realities that would disuade a pessimist or even a pessimistic realist...and allowed those same realities to persuade you, encourage you and grow you. You're jumping the hurdles instead of running into them.

Who would grow without adversity and trials???

Somebody's gotta do it...and you're someone that's well on their way!

Thanks for the encouragement...

Rw, I have enjoyed your posts as the're a refreshing change from all the loan is the devil preaching. I have a few questions reguarding the gom and was hoping that you might be able to answer them. 1. What is bidding? 2.Do you pick your living situation. i.e. (on-shore,off-shore) 3.How much is rent if you're located on-shore 4.If off-shore can you go fishing if you're not working? If yes is a fishing lincense required? Thank you for the positive it can be done posts. Jeff

1. What is bidding? 2.Do you pick your living situation. i.e. (on-shore,off-shore) 3.How much is rent if you're located on-shore 4.If off-shore can you go fishing if you're not working? If yes is a fishing lincense required? Thank you for the positive it can be done posts. Jeff

1. Some companies have a bidding process for contracts, you have to put your hat into the ring, the highest seniority who qualifies for the job gets it. Others award contracts based on need, rather than seniority.

2. Generally no, you get whatever the company has to offer, either trailers or apartments. The quality varies from rather decent, to rather... not...

3. Nothing, the company pays for your living accomidations (at least the major ones do)

4. Yes, a lot of people off-shore fish from the platforms... You'll make a lot of friends if you catch fish and share it with the platform crew.

I'm gonna throw my $.02 in here. I've been "lurking" on this site for a while now, and have read just about everything on here. I've learned a few things about helo pilots in general. The successful ones all have the same attitude towards their career paths, and life in general. The not so successful ones are the same, but have an altogether different attitude.

I've chosen this career, but not without research. A LOT of research. I have a "game plan", and I'm looking forward to traveling all over the country, wherever this job takes me. WITH my family. It's gonna be a wild ride!

You guys have succeeded because YOU MADE it happen. Sure, there are downfalls along the way. But as was mentioned in part 1 of this thread, "total commitment". You all let NOTHING get in your way. Money, location, food, the nice new car, whatever it takes. The pilots that are "negative" about the whole thing have let something get in their way. An isolated incident, a bad employer, several bad gigs in a row, whatever it was. They let something get them down.

Failure is succeeding at finding what doesn't work.

RW, excellent post. Thank you.