Breakfast?

Fastlane

OK, one more stupid question from the new guy. What's the deal with the "$100 Breakfast"? I think I have an idea, but I want to hear from someone that's done it. Sounds like a tradition type thing. When we got our new rig at the FD we "had" to use the old one to hose off the new one, before she was allowed in the station. It's just something you have to do.

Is the breakfast like this? LOL

OK, one more stupid question from the new guy. What's the deal with the "$100 Breakfast"? I think I have an idea, but I want to hear from someone that's done it. Sounds like a tradition type thing. When we got our new rig at the FD we "had" to use the old one to hose off the new one, before she was allowed in the station. It's just something you have to do.

Is the breakfast like this? LOL

That is a far stretch Fastlane, how did you go from washing down an engine to $100 breaksfast? My curiosity is highly peaked LOL!

Depending on where your at, it could be a $12483.75 hamburger:

$12k for PPL in S300

$470 (2 hours in said ship)

$6.25 for burger

$1.25 for soda

$2.75 for fries

$3.50 for tip

the smile on your face with ketchup running down each cheek: priceless!

Don't you mean more like the $10,160 hamburger? $10,000 for the PPL, $150/hr helicopter rental, and $10 for the hamburger...

-V5

Where in the hell are you renting a bird for $150 an hour? I need to move there! LOL It's $270 for "my" 300 CBi.

Doesn't matter, it's gonna be worth EVERY PENNY! ;)

Brushfire, make that $12,484.50 cuz I'm gettin a CHEESE Burger! LOL, and it IS going to be priceless!

On to the firetruck thing, since these things cost upwards of $250,000 now they are few and far between. It is not uncommon to spend your entire 25 year career with the same engine. I was fortunate enough to see TWO new engines in my 18 years. Not sure how it started, but it's a tradition now. When the new rig shows up, you "have" to hose it down with the fire hose from the "old" truck, or the new gal isn't allowed in the station. Sort of a "passing the torch" type thing. It was a REALLY big deal at my station. We used a 1979 Mack to hose off our 2002 Ferrara, and a 1971 Mack to hose off the 2003 Ferrara. I get PAID to drive the '03! Now that I'm into the "Helo thing" I talk on the radio a bit different. Instead of "83's on the way" I find myself saying "Engine 83 is on the go!" LOL

Just wondering if the million dollar burger is a "must do" when you get your PPL. IT IS for me, now! :P

Edited by Fastlane

On to the firetruck thing, since these things cost upwards of $250,000 now they are few and far between.

I was just a little slow on how you came up with replacing an old copter with a new copter on the $100 breakfast, but I think I got thru the logic finally :lol:

As far as new apparatus cost, you guys got a hella of a deal! We have (2) new International 4dr Type-3 Interface/Wildland CAFS engines from Pierce showing up next week at a cost of $275k each, and the type-1 engines are running $350+k for us. I think alot has to do with the price of steel, heard at the end of the month apparatus will cost an additional $15-20k from Pierce. Talk about inflation.......

Ah Fire Trucks,

When I put a new truck in service the fire crews never washed it off, they fought to see who was gonna get to drive it first or change out with there rig.

I mainly worked on Oshkosh, Pierce, and KMC. Worked on a Ward and ALF once. I think the KMC wildland ver. the USAF bought was about $250K in 90', that I helped put in service. Had the high mount pump station with high mount delouge(sp) gun. Had the 6V-92TA Silver Series Detroit w/elec keypad shift Allision Trans.

I worked for a company outside of Dallas that sold Ambulance and Firetrucks. They sold a truck to Union Carbide for about $750k, had a murial painted on the side and $15 g's of gold enlay, instead of chrome.

FastLane, I have been past the Ferrera, LA and Eone, FL factories many times, my dads neighbors son did build wiring harnesses for Ferrera in LA. I would like to tour both factories one day.

Later

Ah Fire Trucks,

When I put a new truck in service the fire crews never washed it off, they fought to see who was gonna get to drive it first or change out with there rig.

I mainly worked on Oshkosh, Pierce, and KMC. Worked on a Ward and ALF once. I think the KMC wildland ver. the USAF bought was about $250K in 90', that I helped put in service. Had the high mount pump station with high mount delouge(sp) gun. Had the 6V-92TA Silver Series Detroit w/elec keypad shift Allision Trans.

I worked for a company outside of Dallas that sold Ambulance and Firetrucks. They sold a truck to Union Carbide for about $750k, had a murial painted on the side and $15 g's of gold enlay, instead of chrome.

FastLane, I have been past the Ferrera, LA and Eone, FL factories many times, my dads neighbors son did build wiring harnesses for Ferrera in LA. I would like to tour both factories one day.

Later

Don't forget, that was 2003 prices! I'm sure 4 years down the road things are a bit more expensive. The other cost factor is that we're not "wildland", we're inter-city structural. Sure I got jaws and EMS crap on board, but she's all about 5" from the plug, and several 1.75" into the house! Just the way we work. Just the way it is.

Mechanic, you LET the new truck through the door without the old one hosing her off first???? WOW. That's bad luck dude. This has been going on since the horse drawn buggies hosed off the "new" steam powered machines!

ANYWAYS, back to the original subject, who's gonna meet me for my $12,000 CHEESE burger? LOL We'll be somewhere near Cleveland, OH. Leaving BKL, in route to...... ??? PGH?

The $100 Hamburger was coined by the fixed wing crowd..

OK, so what do "we" do? Is that where the breakfast thing comes into play?