Helo Flying Options

I'm not on the career track, I just fly for fun. The airport I did my R22 training at is almost 3 hours away and I've grown tired of driving there, flying, then rushing home because I have a fairly busy schedule. There is a new rental place only 1/2 hour away but it's $300/hr for the Schweitzer, which to be honest I'm not sure I'd like as much as the R22. I have been unsuccessful in finding a partner for an R22. and $300/hr is really too much to spend renting on a long-term basis and enjoy myself. So I haven't flown in a few months now.

I've been in partnerships on a couple of airplanes before and am thinking about that. But from the first time I flew the R22 flying airplanes lost its appeal. It's hard to go back to bread and water once you've tasted a good steak and ale.

The drawbacks to flying fixed-wing are 1) it's not nearly as much fun, but at least I would be flying (and yes, still enjoying myself) 2) It would take enough of my savings that in the unlikely event I did run across a potential R22 partner I wouldn't have the $ readily available to jump on it. 3) If I go w/o flying a helo much longer I'm going to lose the touch and would have to start from scratch.

Surely other pilots here have been in the same predicament and I'm curious how you worked it out.

I'm not on the career track, I just fly for fun. The airport I did my R22 training at is almost 3 hours away and I've grown tired of driving there, flying, then rushing home because I have a fairly busy schedule. There is a new rental place only 1/2 hour away but it's $300/hr for the Schweitzer, which to be honest I'm not sure I'd like as much as the R22. I have been unsuccessful in finding a partner for an R22. and $300/hr is really too much to spend renting on a long-term basis and enjoy myself. So I haven't flown in a few months now.

Don't brush off the Schweitzer. I flew one when looking for flight schools, and liked it. has a big, stable feel--like you're flying something much larger. I'd train on it, but want the R22 hours for CFI positions.

I hate to sound negative, but didn't anyone ever tell you that the most worthless FAA Certificate is a "Private Pilot Helicopter"?

Unless you're semi wealthy it's pretty worthless to have just to fly for fun, as you're already figuring out. And unfortunately the way things are going, airplanes aren't too far behind.

The way I did it, and most of us here, was to do make it a career because we love flying helicopters.

Good luck.

P.S., Are you by any chance in FC?

FC?

Actually, with a partner on a helicopter the numbers would work out. I just hate to continue to spend $300/hr renting one. That's too much $ to spend renting with so many restrictions. I wouldn't have a problem spending close to that amount if I owned it and had more flexibility.

I hate to sound negative, but didn't anyone ever tell you that the most worthless FAA Certificate is a "Private Pilot Helicopter"?

What about Private Pilot-LTA? :P

If you need one to fly, I don't see how it can be worthless.

Unless you're semi wealthy it's pretty worthless to have just to fly for fun...

Why would you say that? If you love to fly, so what if you do it as a hobby? I am not wealthy & I fly for fun, & I think it is priceless.

Just one thought.

Have you considered a high time R22? Say with 200-300 hours remaining before major overhaul. You could pick one up for say $70-90,000. If you fly if for 3-4 hours a month you would only fly 200-250 hours in 5 years. During that 5 years you could save for major overhaul or find a partner.

Marc D.

PS If you are at sea level, the Alpha, HP and Beta 1 are totally adequate and probably cheaper to buy.