Vortex & Air Log.

What is the deal with Vortex and air logistics? They offer an internship, but what good is this? What does an 'internship' for a 200 hour newbie pilot consist of?

This is quoted from vortex helicopters website:

Because of our relationship with Air Logistics we can guarantee internship, and job interviews with them after completion of the Commercial and Instrument Ratings. Air Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Off Shore Logistics group, the worlds largest employer of helicopter pilots.

Job interview after 200 hours of training? Is it me, or does it seem lile vortex is using this to get students to attend their school?

Edited by r8z^

What is the deal with Vortex and air logistics? They offer an internship, but what good is this? What does an 'internship' for a 200 hour newbie pilot consist of?

This is quoted from vortex helicopters website:

Because of our relationship with Air Logistics we can guarantee internship, and job interviews with them after completion of the Commercial and Instrument Ratings. Air Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Off Shore Logistics group, the worlds largest employer of helicopter pilots.

Job interview after 200 hours of training? Is it me, or does it seem lile vortex is using this to get students to attend their school?

Basically after you complete your full training you are gaurnteed an interview. You will still need the minimum 1000 hours. From what I hear it's nothing that is exclusive really to Vortex. They need pilots and will give pretty much anyone with a 1000 hours an interview. Although I hear many good things about Vortex itself.

Hey,

In the grand scheme of things. Air Log is now part of Bristow Group Inc. Which Bristow also just bought Helicopter Advent. Inc, aka HAI, in Titusville, FL. I wonder what is going to happen with Vortex' agreement since Bristow owns their own academy now???? I have heard rumours floating around that Bristow is going to buy out Vortex?????????? I have not seen any hard evidence that is going to happen, but doesn't mean they are not in talks either..

I was wondering when a major helicopter company was going to buy/start an academy of their own. Bristow is the first that I know of in the USA.

Bristow Group Main

Bristow Academy

Hey,

In the grand scheme of things. Air Log is now part of Bristow Group Inc. Which Bristow also just bought Helicopter Advent. Inc, aka HAI, in Titusville, FL. I wonder what is going to happen with Vortex' agreement since Bristow owns their own academy now???? I have heard rumours floating around that Bristow is going to buy out Vortex?????????? I have not seen any hard evidence that is going to happen, but doesn't mean they are not in talks either..

I was wondering when a major helicopter company was going to buy/start an academy of their own. Bristow is the first that I know of in the USA.

<a href="http://www.bristowgroup.com/" target="_blank">Bristow Group Main

</a><a href="http://www.heli.com/" target="_blank">Bristow Academy

</a><a href="http://www.bristowgroup.com/" target="_blank">

</a>

If you call and ask they will tell you that they are in fact being bought by Bristow.

my trip got pushed back, but I'm headed up either this weekend or the next at very latest (depending on my workload which as you can see by the time, 0300 Central time, is ridiculously high right now) I'll ask and give you "the straight dope".

If you call and ask they will tell you that they are in fact being bought by Bristow.

Its not any of my business what Mr. Sheeran has planned for his business. I still stand behind the fact that I have not read anything or I possibly overlooked/missed seeing a mention about a sale of Vortex in the trade news magazines. If Mr. Sheeran wants to sale, fine, hope he gets the price he wants for it.

Later

Its not any of my business what Mr. Sheeran has planned for his business. I still stand behind the fact that I have not read anything or I possibly overlooked/missed seeing a mention about a sale of Vortex in the trade news magazines. If Mr. Sheeran wants to sale, fine, hope he gets the price he wants for it.

Later

I stopped by Vortex about a month ago. They were just moving into their new building which is pretty nice. They had to relocate to La from Ms due to Katrina. They are right down the street from one of Air Logs bases. I talk to the owner for about 3 hours, maybe more. He seemed nice enough and for whatever reason talked to me a long time. I haven't check but when I talked to him he said he would know very soon if he was going to sell as long as the price is right which he believed it was going to be. And, as businessman he deserves to sell if wishes. He 50 + yrs old and wants to take it a little easier. For someone going into business for themselves part of their retirement is the sale of their buisiness so I can't blame him for wanting to sell. Running a helicopter school I'm sure is a huge headache even if you love it. Right now they are my 1st choice and I have stopped at reseached many schools. But, when visiting schools, don't let the owner sell you on the school, talk to students and instructors.

Last time I talked to Mr. Sheeran about a R22 overhaul estimate, he said he was no longer doing repairs or rebuilds, but was happy to tell me what to expect on the rebuild of the heli I was looking at and what the heli was worth to make a offer on it. The few times I have talked to him, he has always seemed to be very honest and no bull..

Later