Commuting to the GOM

Tweedles

I'm wondering how far from the GOM some of you folks call home.

Also:

Is the commute a hardship from a time standpoint?

Is it a pain in the pocketbook?

Are there any deals or agreements that can be arranged for frequent/regular airline travel?

Thanks for your replies,

Tweedles

Not no more. Did it, off and on, for half of the 13 years I was down there. Mostly by car, average commute 10 hours, anywhere from 8 to 14 hours (Georgia to wherever the week started) and some of that of that on a 14&14. I'd start noon-ish Eastern the day before duty, to be there no later than 2000 Central. The trip home was about half and half non-stop immediately after signing out. Sometimes, I'd be home as "early" as 0300, usually noon-ish, with an enroute nap. Averaged 45,000 a year commuting, and it ade the 7&7 into 9&5 or 8.5&5.5...

I preferred using a car. With non-refundable tickets, the drive to a real airport, parking and the uncertainty of when, or IF, I'd get out on break day, flying didn't save me any time. I did fly on occasion, especially if I needed to be somewhere with another real airport. More than 1 connection on the flight, and it was dead wash for time spent.

You need two good, reliable and cheap cars to commute the distances I did (700-1000 miles each way). If one required maintenance, I had the other, so turning wrenches or getting it out of the shop wasn't an issue.

Car pooling is another possibility if you live in one of the high helo pilot occupancy towns (Pensacola and surrounding was a good bet).

I'm wondering how far from the GOM some of you folks call home.

Also:

Is the commute a hardship from a time standpoint?

Is it a pain in the pocketbook?

Are there any deals or agreements that can be arranged for frequent/regular airline travel?

Thanks for your replies,

Tweedles

I commute from Minnesota. I can get a one way most of the time for $ 250 or less. I keep a car in Houston. I work 14/14, so

$ 4-500 a month isn't too bad. I used to spend $ 300 a month on gas, easily. Just one day of workover

pretty much covers my commute. I was talking to an Air Log pilot the other night and apparently they

have a arrangement with Continental, but didn't get the specifics.

Yeah, it can be a drag from a time stand point. The cheap fares connect, so your looking at an

average 6-7 hour travel time plus the drive to the base. I have one of the longer commutes where

I work, although we have a guy that goes back and forth to France. It seems like most of the long

distance commuters either move closer or quit. I work over a lot so I pay more because I can't

plan. If I never worked over, I could consistantly get by on $ 350.

Edited by helonorth

• 1 month later...
I commute from Minnesota. I can get a one way most of the time for $ 250 or less. I keep a car in Houston. I work 14/14, so

$ 4-500 a month isn't too bad. I used to spend $ 300 a month on gas, easily. Just one day of workover

pretty much covers my commute. I was talking to an Air Log pilot the other night and apparently they

have a arrangement with Continental, but didn't get the specifics.

Yeah, it can be a drag from a time stand point. The cheap fares connect, so your looking at an

average 6-7 hour travel time plus the drive to the base. I have one of the longer commutes where

I work, although we have a guy that goes back and forth to France. It seems like most of the long

distance commuters either move closer or quit. I work over a lot so I pay more because I can't

plan. If I never worked over, I could consistantly get by on $ 350.

You mentioned that 'the commuters either move close or quit'- Would Houston, Austin, or Dallas be a good place to anchor down?

You mentioned that 'the commuters either move close or quit'- Would Houston, Austin, or Dallas be a good place to anchor down?

I think so. There are two guys in the trailer today from Texas. One from Houston and one from

Dallas. Intercoastel City La. (where I work) to Houston is about four hours driving. It all depends

on where you would like to live and how much you want to drive. Abbeville La. is only about

15 minutes away and looks like a nice place to live. Houses are cheap, too. I like to use the

town's library as a clue to what kind of place it is. Abbeville has an awesome library for a town

of 10,000 or so.

Lots of gomers live in and around Houston, fewer near Austin or Dallas, but there are a few. It's about a 10 hour drive to south Louisiana from Dallas, but some do it. From Houston it's only 5 or 6, depending on where you start from and where you end up. Austin is 3 or so from Houston, but often longer because of the traffic. It just depends on how much driving you're willing to do at $3.00+/gallon, no reimbursement.

It just depends on how much driving you're willing to do at $3.00+/gallon, no reimbursement.

0 miles for any company that thinks all pilots are expendable. Move to the maintenance side and work for Uncle Sam. More money and do nothing on the taxpayer dime.............sackas! :P

Guest rotorflyr84

I'm still trying to get the hang of how the GOM operations work. But, now I was checking out RLC and one of their base locations is in Miami, Florida. Upon acceptance, do you get to choose your base location, or is that up to RLC and where they feel they need to place you? :blink:

I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Do any of you know of any airline deals for commuting to the GOM? Do airlines give cheap/free flights to employees of any of the GOM operators just like they do for their own or other airlines employees?

Jeff

I'm still trying to get the hang of how the GOM operations work. But, now I was checking out RLC and one of their base locations is in Miami, Florida. Upon acceptance, do you get to choose your base location, or is that up to RLC and where they feel they need to place you? :blink:

You don't get to choose your base location. You can always ask for a location, but no gaurantee.

The Miami thing is just a couple of B models doing spray work. You will be most likely be based

at Intercoastel City, Venice, Creole, Galiano or Patterson La.

Airlines give GOM employees the same deals they give every other ticket buyer. Era used to have a jumpseat deal, but I believe that went away. You can ask for any location you like, but the reality is you get based where they need you at the time. Contracts change often, and there is no stability at all. I've worked out of pretty much every base on coast, from Venice, LA to Rockport, TX over the years, and seen bases go from having no parking spaces available to closed, and everything in between. Be prepared to go anywhere on the Gulf coast, at any time, on your dime. I've spent many hitches moving around, and sleeping every night in a different bed at a different base. I've spent long periods flying from the same base. There is no typical scenario, it's different every day at every company and base.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're looking to move to the other side of LA try the Pensacola, Florida area. It's a great small city with great beaches. There's not much in the cultural department but the National Museum of Naval Aviation is there.

It will be about a four to five hour commute to the LA bases. It also helps to have a nice fuel efficient four cylinder car to cut down on gas costs. A friend of mine has a Honda Civic that gets great gas mileage.

Guest rotorflyr84
If you're looking to move to the other side of LA try the Pensacola, Florida area. It's a great small city with great beaches. There's not much in the cultural department but the National Museum of Naval Aviation is there.

It will be about a four to five hour commute to the LA bases. It also helps to have a nice fuel efficient four cylinder car to cut down on gas costs. A friend of mine has a Honda Civic that gets great gas mileage.

Any idea what the cost of living is in the panhandle? I used to live in West Palm Beach, and the cost of living was unreal (at least for my situation). I've never been to Pensacola, but I've heard great things about the area.

the panhandle is average i guess, used to be low but went sky high after Katrina... for a two bedroom house with garage expect to pay from 800 on the very low side to 1200 - 1400 depending on how nice an abode you want.