Strange Phone call

Falko

Yesterday,

i was flying with my student doing some off airpots on top of a hill. After we were sitting in my office to talk about the flight i got a phone call. The person that called told me that he was bowhunting close to the place where we did our off-airport landing. He thought we circled just to harass him ?!?!?!?!

He also mention that the R22 was so loud that his EARDRUMS ALMOST CRACKED ?!?!?!

But what he was saiying next made me laugh ....

PHONE CALLER : ...The other day when you guys were doing this offairports in the woods by the hill... i was nacked and i thought you guys wanted to harass me again...

I was was like......why in the hell is someone doing NAKED bowhunting in Minnesota....is that the latest trend ?!?!?!

Did you guys get similar phone calls ????

Falko

First off, why did you admit it was you? Don't ever do that. Now if he still wants to call the FAA, you've already admitted you were flying. Before that, it was up to them to prove it was you based off the time, location and N-number. He probably didn't have the tail number; just called the first place he saw in the yellow pages and, by luck, got ya. When I did a bunch of aerial photography, we got plenty of people calling complaining about a low level "red helicopter" (for exmaple), all of which we said, "there's a dozen other operators here in St. Louis, at least half of which have red helicopters......blah, blah, blah......and the horse you rode in on" Only a few got the N-number, called the FAA, and made us write a response that we were in compliance with all the regs.

For the other part of the story--and this is an educated guess--he may have been doing that because of the smell. Deer pick up on perfumes and other soap smells used in detergents, fabric softners, etc. Most avid hunters will never wash the clothes they use to deer hunt in; some don't shower for days before. Either way, deer can pick up on the smell of any carnivore. I read an thesis by a guy who experimented with these factors, and only after becoming a vegetarian for a year, could he get up and close with deer in the dark of the night. I'm not a deer hunter, but everyone else in this state is and devote most of November to hunting so they can enjoy the "poor man's beef" for the rest of the year......yuck! Good in chili, and that's about it.

Not really applying to the whole backyard hillbilly thing but the weirdest thing I ever had happen in an off airport landing was when a bunch of horses ran out of the middle of nowhere, and they weren't scared. there was no houses for a couple of miles and it was just kind of odd to see five horses run out from nowhere and we couldn't do a max performance that day

Yesterday,

i was flying with my student doing some off airpots on top of a hill. After we were sitting in my office to talk about the flight i got a phone call. The person that called told me that he was bowhunting close to the place where we did our off-airport landing. He thought we circled just to harass him ?!?!?!?!

He also mention that the R22 was so loud that his EARDRUMS ALMOST CRACKED ?!?!?!

But what he was saiying next made me laugh ....

PHONE CALLER : ...The other day when you guys were doing this offairports in the woods by the hill... i was nacked and i thought you guys wanted to harass me again...

I was was like......why in the hell is someone doing NAKED bowhunting in Minnesota....is that the latest trend ?!?!?!

Did you guys get similar phone calls ????

Falko

Hey Falko,

Maybe the guy was bare (bear) hunting! Looks like you have been doing a lot of flying lately.

ironranger

There's a strong environmental, "nature good = tech bad" attitude popular right now. Helos are nothing if not technical, and have been since the "get gone". Orwell even had Big Brother machine gunning folks from helicopters when helos were uncommon, impractical, and long before the first gunships. Any nut-job worth his aluminum foil hat claims "house shaking, dish rattling noise" if they're aware of the presence of a helicopter (Must be in the handbook).

I've been "spotlighted" many times at night by 'sportsmen'. If I'm feeling "froggish" I'll fire up the NightSun and peel a little pickup truck paint. All the law enforcement birds in the area also carry NightSuns.

Those 'sportsmen' are generally spotlighting deer, especially this time of year. Speaking of deer, I saw about a dozen carcasses along the interstate today, some of them just red spots after being totally demolished by the traffic. They've been known to come through the windshield and kick the driver to death before dying themselves. I may need to buy some deer whistles.

I soak my clothes in deer urine before hunting.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hunters can be really superstitious though. No matter how much you don't shower or use scent cover-up if the deer is down-wind the game's over.

----------------

Now playing: Thrice - Open Water

Those 'sportsmen' are generally spotlighting deer, especially this time of year. Speaking of deer, I saw about a dozen carcasses along the interstate today, some of them just red spots after being totally demolished by the traffic. They've been known to come through the windshield and kick the driver to death before dying themselves. I may need to buy some deer whistles.

Gomer, Make sure you don't put the whistles on backwards , or the deer will follow you home.

Not really applying to the whole backyard hillbilly thing but the weirdest thing I ever had happen in an off airport landing was when a bunch of horses ran out of the middle of nowhere, and they weren't scared. there was no houses for a couple of miles and it was just kind of odd to see five horses run out from nowhere and we couldn't do a max performance that day

Howabout landing on a logging road and having a log truck barreling around the corner doing 50 and stomping on the brakes causing a big dust cloud and blasting his horns for about five minutes and flipping you off and hopping up and down in the cab. Good thing he didn't have a load yet.

Later

Wow this topic has me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe for a bit. I can relate to the log truck story I grew up in a logging town in Washington dodging them almost every day to and from my house.

My story never got any calls but an instructor of mine and I once flew into a river ravine to land on a little rock (sand) bar that we had gone to before...there was a nice grassy flat spot. We suprised a fly fisherman. He must have been pretty shocked because he dropped his pole and ran into the trees. No harm done really but I always wished I had a way to appologize to the guy. I'm not out to piss anyone off and enjoy the outdoors a lot myself. On the other hand I wish someone would show up in a helicopter sometime when I am out in the woods just once. I also had offroaders wave to me up near Placerville, CA once. I've had cows who must have been curious start walking directly at me just after setting down in a remote field. I would think they would go the other way but they aren't the brightest bunch I suppose...they were fenced right next to Rancho Seco a dormant nuclear power plant though so who knows. Nothing too exciting.

-SOK