un-heated hanger

spencer

I operate an r-44 out of an un-heated hanger right on the Ohio Michigan line (Toledo Ohio). It is starting to get cold and i wanted to hear some ideas on how to keep the aircraft warm without heating the whole hanger. Last year i bought some heating blankets and put one over the main rotor boots to prevent leaking and i put one over the cowling to try to keep the insides warm. I just wanted to see what some people do because maintenance costs killed me last year dealing with main rotor boot leaks and about a half dozen hydraulic leaks.

Thanks

I operate an r-44 out of an un-heated hanger right on the Ohio Michigan line (Toledo Ohio). It is starting to get cold and i wanted to hear some ideas on how to keep the aircraft warm without heating the whole hanger. Last year i bought some heating blankets and put one over the main rotor boots to prevent leaking and i put one over the cowling to try to keep the insides warm. I just wanted to see what some people do because maintenance costs killed me last year dealing with main rotor boot leaks and about a half dozen hydraulic leaks.

Thanks

I use a Tanis heater on my Robbie; it keeps the engine bay very warm.

http://www.tanisaircraft.com/TAS100S-07%20R44.htm

I would heat the hangar......Just heating parts is going to cause problems in the long run.

The worst thing you can do is have a oil pan or engine block heater and leave it plugged in. Your going to build up all kinds of condensation inside of the crankcase and form corrosion on the crankshaft, camshaft, etc. You should only use those heaters a few hours prior to starting the engine (and then run the engine at temp for at least 20 minutes to cook all the moisture out of it.)

You don't need to keep the hangar at a comfy 70 degrees, just keep it at 40-50. Sorry, probably not the advice you were looking for.

I would heat the hangar......Just heating parts is going to cause problems in the long run.

The worst thing you can do is have a oil pan or engine block heater and leave it plugged in. Your going to build up all kinds of condensation inside of the crankcase and form corrosion on the crankshaft, camshaft, etc. You should only use those heaters a few hours prior to starting the engine (and then run the engine at temp for at least 20 minutes to cook all the moisture out of it.)

You don't need to keep the hangar at a comfy 70 degrees, just keep it at 40-50. Sorry, probably not the advice you were looking for.

If the hangar is not insulated, or it is 10k square; it might not feasible to heat the hangar.

Also many lease agreements prohibit heaters.

We have a Tannis heater that I plug in 15-20 minutes before flying, or if it has to be left outside for any length of time, I don't like to leave it on all the time.

What we use that has worked the best on both the helicopter and fixed wing is an LP gas forced air heater that we rigged up to blow hot air into the engine and we have a hose to preheat the cabin. Just runs off an LP gas grill tank and 110 power. Works real well. can have it nice and warm within 15 minutes or so. By the time you shovel the snow and get the doors pried open, your good to go!! I'll post a photo of it when I get home.

We have a heated hangar, but we keep it around 40. 70 is nice but very expensive. Especially when it has a 60x20 hole in it.

Next best option...... Fly south November one, return May one.

Fly Safe

Clark B)

I am with GP on this one find another home the things to expensive to have corrosion \condensation eat it.

We are lucky to have a insulated building with doors to keep ours in but also have a hot air heater controlled by a thermostat & humidity sensor, it is set to a low temp just enough to keep humidity at bay, then if it gets real cold we can crank it up for 15\20 min. to warm everything through.

It was in the same hanger all last winter and i never saw any condensation inside or anywhere on it. Preheating it is not an issue because i do plug a tannis heater into to it about 30 min before i go flying. At that same time i have a kerosene heater which i place behind the aircraft which it blows warm air all through the aircraft. The concern was to find a way to keep the cowlings semi-warm (above freezing temps) all the time.

I have a Raven II that I kept in the hangar heated to 45 degrees most of last winter with no boot leakage. As soon as I pulled it out and went flying in 15 to 20 degrees, a few drops leaked out of each side. I was told that the best time to tighten the clamps (particularly the internal) was in the winter when it's cold. Others I know who have done this have not had any more leaks, even during cold weather flying. I'll see what happens this winter and be prepared to do the same. Winter is great for performance as well as not having to clean off the bugs after a flight.

Winter is great for performance as well as not having to clean off the bugs after a flight.

Well, maybe where you are. Down here, they don't slow down at all. We have everything from mosquitos to love bugs to big grasshoppers year round. Of course, not having 10 feet of snow on the ground has something to do with that, and I'll take the bugs. If you want to see something scary, turn on the landing light late some night and take a look at what's zooming by you. Sometimes it looks like rain down here.

Just a "Thinking outside the box" sort of thought: might a plastic tent covering the aircraft with a couple of space heaters do the trick? Maybe even one of those portable garage things like at Costco. Modify it to fit the bird and plug in a couple of those space heaters. Kinda like a hangar in a hangar.

I know, stupid idea.

Later

Edited by Witch

Just a "Thinking outside the box" sort of thought: might a plastic tent covering the aircraft with a couple of space heaters do the trick? Maybe even one of those portable garage things like at Costco. Modify it to fit the bird and plug in a couple of those space heaters. Kinda like a hangar in a hangar.

I know, stupid idea.

Later

:lol:

Sounds like a recipe for an insurance claim.... of course, maybe then they could afford a heated hangar.....

Those oil radiator heaters are fairly safe, though... not much risk of fire with them guys.