Good Helicopter books to read?

Spencer,

Welcome aboard VR!

You ask a good question about books. So good, that it has been asked many times before.

If you look to the top right hand corner, you'll see a link called 'search'. This will help you find some stuff. I entered "helicopter books" into that (with the speech marks) and found quite a long list. 67November has also pointed you in the direction of the FAQs as well.

It's not that we are not willing to help here. I think you'll find this one of the most helpful helicopter forums around. We're just trying to help you help yourself!

If after you've looked around, you can't find what you are looking for, then ask away. We'd be only to happy to share what little me know!

Joker

Edited by joker

I was going to go on to amazon to buy a boock called "CHICKEN HAWK" becuase it was recommended to me by a pilot. I was just wondering, since I am going to go buy chicken hawk online, if anyone had any more reccomendations.

My favorite so far, which I have recommended to everyone is "Learning to Fly Helicopter" by Padfield. There are a ton more books out there.... Not that I weighed them...

what are speach marks??

i cant believe that even went unedited.

Edited now. Satisfied? :rolleyes: Glad to see you're focusing on the important things in life!

By the way, we ususally start a sentence with an upper case letter. ;) Also, don't forget the apostrophe for the contraction 'cannot'. :P Unbelievable!

Going by the ratio of 'words per silly mistake', I don't think you really have a leg to stand on!

Joker

Edited by joker

Chickenhawk was a great read but I was disappointed when folks that flew with the pilot pointed out that it's not a true accounting. From what I understand, everything really happened but just not with the author. He compiled incidents from a number of pilots and wrote the book as if they all happened with him. Still, it was an awesome read and got me hooked on reading books by Vietnam helicopter pilots. I typically do not enjoy reading very much but I've gone through a few dozen books of this genre in the last year.

I was able to find email addresses for a few of the authors and let them know how much I enjoyed their books. Every one responded kindly and a couple suggested other books by Vietnam helicopter pilots. Low Level Hell, Angel's Wing, The Price of Exit are a few of the better ones.

One of the funny things that I've found about a lot of the books is the reference to how busy the hookers were over there. Yet not one pilot admits to being a customer.

There's a lot of moaning on here about the cost of civilian helicopter training. Read a few of these books and you'll see how tough it was to complete Army helicopter flight school - and that was in a time when they were desperate for pilots. In The Price of Exit the author puts a paragraph into the book every time one of his flight school classmates is killed in action. Read about the danger they faced. It will help bring into perspective just how inexpensive civilian helicopter training really is.

Edited by Gerhardt