Starting A Career

snikad

When I first made my account here I made a post asking for advice on commercial helicopter flight as a career and most of the responses I found to be kind of negative. It kind of discouraged me, mostly I feel like there is strong unity in the industry with the experienced, but they seem resistant to welcome newcomers. Yes I am 21, but I don’t have this idea of working for a year and then making 200k a year and only working 3 months a year. I don’t log on very often, but I try to stay current reading and I tend to see a lot of negative feedback towards people who come on here looking for input, advice, and inspiration.

I graduated high school took some time off to do some liberal arts at college and get to know myself, and it has only reassured me that this is a career that I feel passion for and will enjoy. I know it wont be all good times, but what career is? Times are hard for everyone at some point or another it comes down to quality of life. (I may be Canadian but we still get CNN and I get to hear Lou Dobbs go on every night about the war on the middle class.) I will be a lot happier in that atmosphere then working at a desk making myself miserable. Everything takes hard work, but if you are happy it’s a lot easier to get there.

You can give all the realistic (negative) feedback you like, but it won’t detour me from pursuing my dream. I am young I can make mistakes and still bounce back. I do appreciate that you want us newcomers to the harsh reality of the profession, just try to remember that a lot of people coming on here do so to hear some positive along with the negative! Whenever someone starts just about anything there are excited about it and have dreams and there is nothing wrong with that.

It’s very expensive to get into we all know that, 401k, social security, health insurance, ect. Yup, it’s different for me up here in Canada, but just remember, if you want something bad enough you can make it work. The program I want to take is done though a college and costs almost 70k cdn (worse right now with the strong loonie) but I see it as an investment in my future. 70k us or cdn is nothing if it means I will be doing something I enjoy.

I’m back home now, working till I can save enough money to start the program and will be frequenting this forum more often. I hope to gain a lot from others in similar situations to mine, and the experienced alike. Hopefully you all can welcome me to your forum positively.

oh boy, I guess it is just the devils advocate that inspires me to respond to your post.

First off, Welcome. I love helicopters too, they make me happy. My free advice says go be a helicopter pilot. Just don't borrow (or at least don't borrow very much) for your training. If that makes it take longer, so what... you will be happier in the long run. I don't care what school you go to or what aircraft you learn to fly in... those won't matter as much as your indebtedness.

I gotta say I love your quote.... "I don’t have this idea of working for a year and then making 200k a year and only working 3 months a year." That quote sums up so many misconceptions about being a pilot. As a pilot I can pretty much guarantee you will never (I know I shouldn't say never because some guy somewhere will say he made 200k) make 200k as a helicopter pilot. Fact is you will most likely never make 100k as a civilian trained helicopter pilot... ok, maybe the year you retire. Back that up with instead of working one year before making a living and replace it with 10 years.

If you want to talk about quality of life... don't go be a helicopter pilot... be a doctor

Pilot seems to be one small step above truck driver... how glamorous is that?

The longer I am associated with this industry the more I think the rich doctors that fly for fun whenever they want, make more than 200K and truely only work 3 days a week have it the best.

Now for the inspirational part!!

Did I say I love helicopters??? I love flying around and going anywhere and everywhere with that ultimate aerial vehicle! The view is terrific, the idea of controlling that machine is a thrill, and when you land in a confined area or on some pinnacle people can barely hike too it is nearly too much.

Follow the BEST path for you and your family..... then your dreams will come true.

When I first made my account here I made a post asking for advice on commercial helicopter flight as a career and most of the responses I found to be kind of negative. It kind of discouraged me, mostly I feel like there is strong unity in the industry with the experienced, but they seem resistant to welcome newcomers. Yes I am 21, but I don’t have this idea of working for a year and then making 200k a year and only working 3 months a year. I don’t log on very often, but I try to stay current reading and I tend to see a lot of negative feedback towards people who come on here looking for input, advice, and inspiration.

I graduated high school took some time off to do some liberal arts at college and get to know myself, and it has only reassured me that this is a career that I feel passion for and will enjoy. I know it wont be all good times, but what career is? Times are hard for everyone at some point or another it comes down to quality of life. (I may be Canadian but we still get CNN and I get to hear Lou Dobbs go on every night about the war on the middle class.) I will be a lot happier in that atmosphere then working at a desk making myself miserable. Everything takes hard work, but if you are happy it’s a lot easier to get there.

You can give all the realistic (negative) feedback you like, but it won’t detour me from pursuing my dream. I am young I can make mistakes and still bounce back. I do appreciate that you want us newcomers to the harsh reality of the profession, just try to remember that a lot of people coming on here do so to hear some positive along with the negative! Whenever someone starts just about anything there are excited about it and have dreams and there is nothing wrong with that.

It’s very expensive to get into we all know that, 401k, social security, health insurance, ect. Yup, it’s different for me up here in Canada, but just remember, if you want something bad enough you can make it work. The program I want to take is done though a college and costs almost 70k cdn (worse right now with the strong loonie) but I see it as an investment in my future. 70k us or cdn is nothing if it means I will be doing something I enjoy.

I’m back home now, working till I can save enough money to start the program and will be frequenting this forum more often. I hope to gain a lot from others in similar situations to mine, and the experienced alike. Hopefully you all can welcome me to your forum positively.

First, I LOVE what I do: I Fly helicopters for a living. And, I've been doing it for a very long time- I started in 1968. I've done other jobs, and made more money, etc., so I have some idea of which I speak. What I do makes me happy, it fits my personality on the whole. Much better than sales, office work, manufacturing, s/e retail, the trades. Maybe, it will yours, too. If so, I wish you luck. This is a good time to be starting out.

I've never met a pilot who wouldn't help another, especially younger, pilot. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say the community "seem(s) resistant to welcome newcomers." Perhaps the harsh realities being what they are, you think they shouldn't be mentioned? For instance, the cull factor for folks in your position is tremendous. If saying that seems unfriendly, I'm sorry. I feel an obligation to give honest PIREPs, in and out of the air. My honest estimate is that 90% of the people in your position won't ever be "professional helicopter pilots". Further estimate- this is the best time in helicopter history to be in the 10% who make it- the money's finally, gradually, getting better; the industry's expanding; and a sizable fraction of the working pros are leaving the field. Start now, and you can have my seat in a few years, and you're welcome to it. You will have to earn it, as I did, and you'll see most of your peers leave the field in the meantime.

Your refusal to be discouraged is a good thing- you will need that optimism more than you know. You'll also need ten times more determination than optimism, and ten times that in creative ability to make the proverbial silk purse out of a sow's ear. Listen to your "brothers" (because that's what we are) when they tell you to be careful. There's rocks in some of those clouds...

When I first made my account here I made a post asking for advice on commercial helicopter flight as a career and most of the responses I found to be kind of negative. It kind of discouraged me, mostly I feel like there is strong unity in the industry with the experienced, but they seem resistant to welcome newcomers.

SNIKAD,

Wally and Apiaguy are correct. I think the negative responses you recieved were from the small percentage of helo pilots that are frustrated. As with any career field, you will get advice from people that have a harder time dealing with the pressure of being a true professional helicopter pilot. It's not easy! And it is just like being a truck driver! (actually, they make more money on average without the huge outpouring of money to get their first job!)

The aviation community as a whole looks differently at helo pilots. Mainly because they don't understand them.

If your dream is to fly, then do it! It is a wonderful career choice! Nothing beats it in my opinion!

I don't know too many chopper pilots that wouldn't go out of their way to help another pilot. If you need advice, keep posting and ignore the negative hype.

john

Guest rotorflyr84

I myself am relatively new in the VR community, and I must admit, that I have learned a lot from everyone in this community. The bottom line with advice, is that you are going to get good advice and bad advice...it's just natural. However, it's all in your attitude how you want to accept that advice. I've seen so many threads where an individual asks a question, and they get a response they didn't want to hear, and then all hell breaks loose. It's not fun, and nobody should ever have to feel as if they need to walk on egg shells just to avoid any type of conflict. I'm not sure where you got the information that most VR members have had nothing but negative things to say to the new people. My first post in this community was an introduction, and I got nothing but welcomes from everyone.

You will come to see that there's a lot of vet helicopter pilots in this community who have dealt first hand with the good, bad, and ugly sides of this profession. And there are a lot of new pilots (like myself) who are going to experience the same things. Most of us will probably end up sharing such negative advice at one point in our lives. But, it is imperative to always keep an open mind regardless of the words you read, the things you see, and the things you hear. There will always be those disgruntled individuals, but for the most part, there is quite a bit of validity to the negative advice you will hear. I myself welcome negativity because it allows me to view everything at all angles, thus better preparing myself for this profession. But, like I said, it all comes down to attitude, and what you make of it.

Now, with that in mind...welcome! You will find a wealth of information in this community that will help you in your journey to becomming a professional helicopter pilot. I want to wish you the best in your career pursuits, and I want you to know that if you ever need anything, always feel free to ask. Once again good luck, and never stop learning. ;)

When I first made my account here I made a post asking for advice on commercial helicopter flight as a career and most of the responses I found to be kind of negative.

Not exactly sure what you got, but most of the negativity I see is from the same questions over and over, when they have all been answered before and most of them are in the FAQ that says "read before you post".

I like it when we can be encouraging, and if you stick around you will see a lot of that as well (even from Fry, although he hides it).

See ya around.

• 4 weeks later...

As long as you go into it with your eyes wide open you'll never be disappointed and you'll discover how satisfying flying can actually be. Most professional pilots, whether fixed wing or helicopter, will spend a significant amount of time away from home. Of course the amount of time varies with the type of jobs but you can expect to be away.

As far as pay is concerned I agree with the previous poster. You probably won't make 200,000 as a helicopter pilot and you'd be lucky to make 100,00 but there nothing that says you can't make extra money else where. I'd advise you to go to the Internet Marketing Center's website and look at some of the programs they offer. If you can start a business that brings in an extra 4,000/mth you'll be able to take whatever flying job you and your qualifications can handle.