One year later.... A long reflection.....

klmmarine

Well, I realized today that it was almost exactly, one year ago that I decided to become a helicopter pilot. I thought it would be a good time to reflect on what has happened since that day, sitting on a boat in Cameron LA, watching PHI and ERA fly over for two weeks while there was either no work, or seas too heavy to work in...

Dec.... I wonder what it takes to become a civilian helicopter pilot. The internet, and a few phone calls give me my answer.

Jan. 2... I put my deposit down to start flight training with AirTenn Aviation, and then go to work on a new boat for four weeks. I return, ready to fly, only to discover that I am too fat... 265# does not a Robbie pilot make. So on the Diet Pepsi, and off the candy and Hot Pockets I go.

April... I get to fly, as much as the wind will allow. It is really hard to try to hover in 15-20 knot winds with 2 hours of flight time. Then off to work, for another 4 weeks, with John and Martha King and my Flight Sim X equipped laptop.

May... Instructor gets fired (sorry Dustin)... Hmmm now what am I going to do... "Oh don't worry Keith we are hiring a new instructor..." Okay cool I will get to fly after all.

June... This flying thing is really cool, so I am committed to a plan and put in my notice... So long boats, helicopters here I come, full time...What am I thinking... I left a great paying job, that I loved, for the opportunity to eat Ramen and Peanut Butter for a couple of years as a CFII? One month of full time flying and I am ready to drive to Seattle to take my checkride and enroll in a 141 commercial/instrument/CFI program at Classic Helicopters.

July 14... I take my first pre-checkride, orientation flight in Seattle. I sure am glad that my folks aren't charging rent... But it is great to be back in the Pacific Northwest.

July 16... AirTenn Aviation shuts down and disappears overnight with students deposit money (dodged that bullet), and leaving their new CFI high and dry after bringing him out from Washington State to teach...(sorry Mike)

July 21.... I become a certificated Private Pilot Rotorcraft, and enroll full time in 141 Commercial and Instrument programs at Classic Helicopters.

Aug 2.... My primary instructor Keiko Minakata is killed in an R-44, with three passengers, while doing 135 work in the mountains east of Seattle... Sparking a 500 acre wildfire and giving me a taste of the dark side of aviation...

Aug 3.... I make a 3 hour solo cross country flight to the San Juan Islands, my favorite place on the whole planet, to bury the jitters and prove to myself that helicopters aren't just going to start falling out of the sky now....

Aug-Sep... Lots of flying; Instrument.... Solo X-C.... Robinson Factory Course....

Sep 25... My baby brother is Killed in action in Afghanistan. RIP, HM2 (FMF,DV,FPJ) Charles Luke Milam

Oct... Not much flying...

Nov.... The weather is keeping me from flying instrument... Why did I think it was a good idea to come to Seattle, in the Winter, for Instrument Training?....

Dec 20... Tired of waiting on the weather for instrument flights, I decide to put it on hold and take my Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter Checkride... The examiner is "not impressed" with my 180-auto, but I PASSED!! I enroll in the 141 CFI program and will finish instrument when the weather clears up...

All said and done, it has been an interesting year.... Given the opportunity, I would change a lot of things that happened this year. Unfortunately, nobody can change the past, but I have learned one very important thing... You never know what is going to happen tomorrow, so live every day like it is going to be your last, and don't wait to start living your dreams.

I love what I am doing, and I can't wait to see what next year brings. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to say it to somebody, and Vertical Reference has been like a great big, extended family for the last year. Thanks for your support, and I look forward to another year in the Vertical world.

That is very interesting, you should do a blog of the next year perhaps.

It was a year ago in December that I decided to be a Helicopter Pilot, too. Mine is much shorter.

January: Took a discovery flight.

Rest of year: waited for my wife to finish college!!! I start training in a couple months, my wife graduated tonight!!

You really had a rough year, glad you stuck with it, this is a definite inspiration for me.

Thanks a million for sharing!

Edited by Sparker

One hell of a year Keith - and all while trying to juggle a family too. Your post is a great reminder to all the newbies that you will never get anywhere in aviation without a lot of drive and determination. There are always plenty of bumps (sometimes mountains) on your path to becoming a professional aviator, and you just have to keep at it, day in, day out.

Two more points: keep it up with the Diet Pepsi. The more you lose, the more attractive you become to potential employers. And maybe the weather delay is for the best - you can prepare for both the Instrument and the double I at the same time. Plan to take the checkrides the same day.

I'll buy you a coffee (with Equal and low-fat creamer) when you get back in town!!!!

Merry Christmas, Kevin

And maybe the weather delay is for the best - you can prepare for both the Instrument and the double I at the same time. Plan to take the checkrides the same day.

If you have your CFI-H already, if the examiner is willing, you can do both checkrides at the same time. I did it. It was an extra long oral due to some different items that had to be covered. The fight check was the same length. The examiner charged a fee for each certificate. But what the heck, I didn't have to pay for an extra hour of so in the helicopter.

So sorry to hear about your brother and a fellow aviator. I hope this coming year you will realize your dreams and no heartache. Take care, keep up the great work!

--CM

I concur with this wholeheartedly. May your next year find you with less sad details to report on.

Tell your parents I said thanks for their son's service and as a vet I give your brother, you and your parents a heart felt salute and Blessings from God for this next year.

Merry Christmas.

Kirk.

That which does not kill us will make us stronger.

I also, am sorry about your Brother. I read the name after it happened. While I don't have to tell you, he was a stud and a hero. He is sitting in Vahalla with those he swore to provide aid for.

Edited by Hawkdriver

So sorry to hear about your brother. what a year for you. Thanks so much for telling your story.

What do you think of Classic? pros, cons? They are the school I'm planning on going to. Any advice, tips ? it seems like you got done pretty quick. How often did you fly? any instructor recomendations?

Edited by freebird04

Well, I realized today that it was almost exactly, one year ago that I decided to become a helicopter pilot. I thought it would be a good time to reflect on what has happened since that day, sitting on a boat in Cameron LA, watching PHI and ERA fly over for two weeks while there was either no work, or seas too heavy to work in...

Dec.... I wonder what it takes to become a civilian helicopter pilot. The internet, and a few phone calls give me my answer.

Jan. 2... I put my deposit down to start flight training with AirTenn Aviation, and then go to work on a new boat for four weeks. I return, ready to fly, only to discover that I am too fat... 265# does not a Robbie pilot make. So on the Diet Pepsi, and off the candy and Hot Pockets I go.

April... I get to fly, as much as the wind will allow. It is really hard to try to hover in 15-20 knot winds with 2 hours of flight time. Then off to work, for another 4 weeks, with John and Martha King and my Flight Sim X equipped laptop.

May... Instructor gets fired (sorry Dustin)... Hmmm now what am I going to do... "Oh don't worry Keith we are hiring a new instructor..." Okay cool I will get to fly after all.

June... This flying thing is really cool, so I am committed to a plan and put in my notice... So long boats, helicopters here I come, full time...What am I thinking... I left a great paying job, that I loved, for the opportunity to eat Ramen and Peanut Butter for a couple of years as a CFII? One month of full time flying and I am ready to drive to Seattle to take my checkride and enroll in a 141 commercial/instrument/CFI program at Classic Helicopters.

July 14... I take my first pre-checkride, orientation flight in Seattle. I sure am glad that my folks aren't charging rent... But it is great to be back in the Pacific Northwest.

July 16... AirTenn Aviation shuts down and disappears overnight with students deposit money (dodged that bullet), and leaving their new CFI high and dry after bringing him out from Washington State to teach...(sorry Mike)

July 21.... I become a certificated Private Pilot Rotorcraft, and enroll full time in 141 Commercial and Instrument programs at Classic Helicopters.

Aug 2.... My primary instructor Keiko Minakata is killed in an R-44, with three passengers, while doing 135 work in the mountains east of Seattle... Sparking a 500 acre wildfire and giving me a taste of the dark side of aviation...

Aug 3.... I make a 3 hour solo cross country flight to the San Juan Islands, my favorite place on the whole planet, to bury the jitters and prove to myself that helicopters aren't just going to start falling out of the sky now....

Aug-Sep... Lots of flying; Instrument.... Solo X-C.... Robinson Factory Course....

Sep 25... My baby brother is Killed in action in Afghanistan. RIP, HM2 (FMF,DV,FPJ) Charles Luke Milam

Oct... Not much flying...

Nov.... The weather is keeping me from flying instrument... Why did I think it was a good idea to come to Seattle, in the Winter, for Instrument Training?....

Dec 20... Tired of waiting on the weather for instrument flights, I decide to put it on hold and take my Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter Checkride... The examiner is "not impressed" with my 180-auto, but I PASSED!! I enroll in the 141 CFI program and will finish instrument when the weather clears up...

All said and done, it has been an interesting year.... Given the opportunity, I would change a lot of things that happened this year. Unfortunately, nobody can change the past, but I have learned one very important thing... You never know what is going to happen tomorrow, so live every day like it is going to be your last, and don't wait to start living your dreams.

I love what I am doing, and I can't wait to see what next year brings. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to say it to somebody, and Vertical Reference has been like a great big, extended family for the last year. Thanks for your support, and I look forward to another year in the Vertical world.

I was just browsing this absentmindedly, when something caught my eye. It was not really about this guy's story, just one small part of it. AirTenn Helicopters. Last year I made a prominent stand about a comment the owner of this school had made regarding a flight instructor and integrity in general. The crows on this board cawed at me pretty hard. Someone even mentioned KARMA. Yeah, I guess that's just about right.

The Post from last year

To Klmmarine:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Condolences to you and your family.

Inthegreen

Keith: I'm sorry to hear about your Brother. May he rest in peace. You and I decided to start at about the same time, but circumstances required totally different paths. I remember showing my wife your post on leaving the boats to train full time and wishing I could do the same.

I just finished the private and with license to learn in hand, the next step in commercial/instrument. and on to CFII. With your drive and determination, I'm sure you will make it through. Just remember to keep an eye out for Murphy along the way, he is out to get us all, with him damn law ;)

Take care,

M.

I was just browsing this absentmindedly, when something caught my eye. It was not really about this guy's story, just one small part of it. AirTenn Helicopters. Last year I made a prominent stand about a comment the owner of this school had made regarding a flight instructor and integrity in general. The crows on this board cawed at me pretty hard. Someone even mentioned KARMA. Yeah, I guess that's just about right.

The Post from last year

To Klmmarine:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Condolences to you and your family.

Inthegreen

If you had many CFI's like the one mentioned, you'd have to close up shop too.

Sorry for the thread hijack, We now return you back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.