Working around the world

Helihead

Hi everyone, I am just looking at all my options once again, and would like to know if there are any entry level jobs outside the US that I could get with as little as 150 hours. Has anyone else here done this... get the commercial, maybe instrument and leave the country to start building time since the the job market here was very competitive? And then come back after building some time -instrument hours? Is there a shortage anywhere else?

How competitive is the market here? I have know doubt in my mind I could do this job ....but If I cant get anyone to look at my resume just because of my low time initialy, I guess would go anywhere to fly as long as I can build some time and experience. vs. paying for more time in the US.

Hi everyone, I am just looking at all my options once again, and would like to know if there are any entry level jobs outside the US that I could get with as little as 150 hours. Has anyone else here done this... get the commercial, maybe instrument and leave the country to start building time since the the job market here was very competitive? And then come back after building some time -instrument hours? Is there a shortage anywhere else?

How competitive is the market here? I have know doubt in my mind I could do this job ....but If I cant get anyone to look at my resume just because of my low time initialy, I guess would go anywhere to fly as long as I can build some time and experience. vs. paying for more time in the US.

hello there!!

i would strongly recommend you sticking in the usa for time building, persiverance is everything!! i am from england and trust me this is where most other foreigners come to get experience, but it will never come easy wherever you are, the fact is the opportunity is here, just think to yourself, that you miss 100% of the opportunites that you never take, ie send resumes and keep sending em!! the more you send even if they are not advertising the more chance you have of getting work, its that simple!! its certainatly a lot easier to get your time here then go abroad than the other way around, i originally started at a school in nz and quickly realised the opprtunity was here so i left there and never looked back!!

i wish you all the best with your new career and dont get disheartend!! anything worth while never comes easy!!!!!

blue skies

mattcob

from what I understand you need to be liscensed for whatever country you work in....

I'd love the opportunity to travel the world myself and would be greatly interested in any programs where an FAA liscense will be enough.

from what I understand you need to be liscensed for whatever country you work in....

I'd love the opportunity to travel the world myself and would be greatly interested in any programs where an FAA liscense will be enough.

howdi!!

well for a lot of countries it is very easy to convert your faa liscense, the only area that makes hard work of it all is europe with the jaa which recognises zilch of your training anywhere else in the world!! as for the other countries, its pretty much an air law exam and a check ride and your done. there are also countries in the world that do use the faa system, i think certain parts of africa and i heard that china was adopting the faa system not 100% about that though, but it certainatly makes it easier to go there and fly!!

blue skies

matt

well that's encouraging news Matt, thank you.

so what's the likeliehood that if ( for lack of a better example ) you hook up with Air Log and can transfer to other countries and still work for the same company? I know they are a worldwide corporation but that's all I know, I heard PHI had an African operation. Are there any more companies that operate worldwide with a chance to travel? Me personally I'd like to stay hitched to the same parent company and keep my 401k rolling and whatnot.

thanks, Jeff

Yes - I am very interested in this as well. It is one of my aspirations to someday use this career as an excuse to spend time in different parts of the world. However, I have no need of working FOR another country, just IN another country. Aren't there American companies with contracts around the world? Would you need some kind of specialized training, or are the jobs usually the same (tours, charter, etc), just in a different location?

bueller?

bueller?

hello again!

there are many companies that you can work for that have international operations, im no expert on this but i think chc and evergreen, bristow, are probally the biggest players in this field.

of course if you are in the usa you can work for air log which is owned by bristow, i dont know for sure how easy it is to transfer within the company to bristow but knowing the industry, its not going to be hard.

from what i can see it is mainly the oil industry support companies that have these opportunities, i think also some very heavy lift companies are the same. but is possible for sure to travel the world by sticking with one company

blue skies

mattcob

thanks Matt

from looking around I see that Evergreen hires directly to overseas, CHC is a canadian company - don't know if that matters, I also saw on PHI site where they list all the places they've been. I was just curious whether this is those jobs that people "bid" for or what the internal working was.

thanks again Matt appreciate your time.

just got back from an impromptu tour at Bristow academy in Titusville, I just wanted to say the dude that gave me the tour ( i'm terrible with names, sorry ) was a asst chief instructor and just picked up a hitch in Nigeria! so yea I'd say the oppurtunity to work around the world is there as long as your willing.

thanks Matt

from looking around I see that Evergreen hires directly to overseas, CHC is a canadian company - don't know if that matters, I also saw on PHI site where they list all the places they've been. I was just curious whether this is those jobs that people "bid" for or what the internal working was.

thanks again Matt appreciate your time.

howdi!!

well with phi once you have started with them they have their own internal jobs board and you can bid for the jobs advertised. mostly it is work around america but they do operate in antartic and they just got a new contract in vietnam so the opportunity is still there to travel abroad, as for chc, they are probally the biggest company dosent matter that you are not from canada, they are all over the world and have a great reputation from pilots who work for them!!

blue skies

mattcob