Could it save lives/is it common?

Future206Pilot

I was cruising around the Transaero site and I found this little honey , and i remembered watching "The Perfect Storm" and seeing the helicopter crew using these when they had to ditch in the ocean...

So, while I was looking at this I was wondering if the GOM operators used these, or if it was even needed. I guess all it takes is one time when the floats don't activate, or you land funny, and you end up up-side down. You lose your cool because you don't have air and you can't get reoriented... and you drown...

My question is, could these beasts be useful, and are they common in over-water ops?

The Army calls it a HEEDS bottle (for the life of me I can't remember what the acronym stands for), which requires an annual certification IAW with AR 95-1.... anyway, I am a SCUBA diver, and thought this would be useful, and that I would not have an issue with it during Dunker school. Personally, I hated the damn thing. It takes longer to pull it out of your vest/deploy it then to just get the hell out of the helicopter and head to the surface... Eh, just my .02

CHAD

The Army calls it a HEEDS bottle (for the life of me I can't remember what the acronym stands for), which requires an annual certification IAW with AR 95-1.... anyway, I am a SCUBA diver, and thought this would be useful, and that I would not have an issue with it during Dunker school. Personally, I hated the damn thing. It takes longer to pull it out of your vest/deploy it then to just get the hell out of the helicopter and head to the surface... Eh, just my .02

CHAD

HEEDS= Helicopter Emergency Egress Device System...typical military acronym!

Goldy

I remember something similar when I was scuba diving in North Dakota. It didn't have the hose, just tank and regulator. I think it was called "Spare Air".

Later

We had something simliar back in OIF 5/6 in our Strykers. Back then there had been no deaths in a Stryker except for one that overturned in a river. They issues us a few of these, without the tubes. Just a tank and the mouthpiece. Thankfully never had to use it, but new where that bad boy was just in case!

Goldy,

yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah... I have way too many acronyms in my skull!!!    :D     

CHAD

Hey just trying to help ya out ! You never know when I might need 19 R22's plucked off a hillside in a single lift ! ( 1370 max weight X 19=26,030 ) !!!!! Piece of cake for you !

Be safe, Goldy