Properties

Avgas has a density of 6.02 lb/US gallon at 15 °C, or 0.72 kg/l, and this density is commonly used for weight and balance computation. Density increases to 6.40 lb/US gallon at -40 °C, and decreases by about 0.5% per 5 °C increase in temperature.[3]

Avgas has an emission coefficient (or factor) of 18.355 pounds CO2 per US gallon,[4][5] or about 3.05 units of weight CO2 produced per unit weight of fuel used.

I use (and teach) 6 lb/gal for flight planning.

6lb/gal for weight and balance.

I have read different things about the actual weight though. AOPA recently wrote (in the magazine) that it is 5.7lb/gal at 20F or so, and 5.4lb/gal at 60F? I need to find the copy of the magazine to verify.

Shell says it has a relative density of 0.71-0.74 at 15 deg C, which translates to 6.0 lb/US Gal. at 59F for all you imperialists ;)

http://www.shell.com/static/aviation-en/do...0_ll_s13001.pdf

• 11 years later...

Been struggling with W and B on a 1985 Mooney. Charts use 6 lbs/U.S. Gal. In the text a few pages prior you will see that 6 is for 100/130 and for 100LL states "use 5.82 lbs/gal". This makes my problem worse as fuel arm is aft of cg. I guess I need to fill the stabilizer with lead to get this thing in cg"😊