homeland in action

Coupled with some of the new software for recognition and tracking/acquisition the chopper above might actually be an example of homeland defense money spent properly.

Some of the newer software for facial recognition is incredible. I saw a demo on one of the tech channels where the software tracked all individuals across multiple cameras in multiple locations along the subway system. Not only did it accurately recognize people, it did age progression and identified people off of sometimes decade old DMV photos.

In addition to facial recognition it also tracked what people were carrying. If you got on in station X with a briefcase and got off at station Y without it the software would throw an alert tag over your head and triggered additional scrutiny as you moved through the test area. If the object left behind was visible to the camera it also had a tag on it, otherwise the room or subway car where the item was left was tagged.

They also had people intentionally try to sheild their faces by looking away from any cameras or by sheilding their facial features with clothing (hat, mask, large sunglasses) as they made their way through the test stations and eventually the software tagged every one of them as well.

The software also tracked security personel. It would predict intercept points for suspects and would guide the correct (based on proximity) officer into position.

They also showed another street camera system that detected gunshots then ranged and focused on the location in 1/2 second. It attempted to determine what type of round/gun was fired by the sound. The camera would then jump from object (in motion) to object and record amazingly tight and detailed photos and videos of people and cars (and occupants) until they left the cameras range.

It's a different world now.

As a retired cop, a statement like this always concerns me: "Police insist that law-abiding New Yorkers have nothing to fear."

We should listen to our founding fathers.

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. “

Benjamin Franklin

As a retired cop, a statement like this always concerns me: "Police insist that law-abiding New Yorkers have nothing to fear."

We should listen to our founding fathers.

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. “

Benjamin Franklin

Amen!

As another retired cop, it's these statements that scare me:

"From a privacy perspective, there's always a concern that 'New York's Finest' are spending millions of dollars to engage in peeping tom activities," said Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union.

Ditto. Nearly all men and women in LE are very honorable....but, there are exceptions. I knew some in Denver that I wouldn't trust with the technology!

As far as the overall scheme of things, anything that adds jobs is a good thing! Just have to have good supervision to ensure it's not abused.