New Hire as SIC in GOM

Fidelis

I've tried to research the pros and cons, as well as the feasibility, of trying to get on as a second in command in the GOM as a way to get your foot in the door.

For someone (me) who has approximately 650 hours of PIC time (R-22/R-44) with Commercial/Instrument ratings, would I reasonably be considered for a second in command position? For those that are in the know, is this a good route to try and take, or would I be better off waiting until I get enough time to hire on as PIC? I am flying approximately 60-80 hours per month right now.

Thanks.

I think you would be better off waiting until you meet their PIC minimums and going from there. As an SIC you would not make much and since you already have a job flying 60-80 hours a month.....

It would take you longer to build your PIC time up to the companies minimum if you work for them as a SIC.

It can't hurt to put in a resume. The positive being a decent salary and benefits. I do not know

this for sure, but I don't think GOM operators are hiring at that number of hours. I think they

have enough resumes from people that meet the minimums. Put in your resume, though, follow up on

it and then weigh your options if you get an offer. If you get on, what difference does it make

how many hours you get? It may take you a little longer to meet the PIC minimums, but at

at least you're making decent money and probably doing it in a twin. Even when you meet the

PIC minimums, there's a good chance you'll end up as a SIC in a medium anyway.

Edited by helonorth

It can't hurt to put in a resume. The positive being a decent salary and benefits. I do not know

this for sure, but I don't think GOM operators are hiring at that number of hours. I think they

have enough resumes from people that meet the minimums. Put in your resume, though, follow up on

it and then weigh your options if you get an offer. If you get on, what difference does it make

how many hours you get? It may take you a little longer to meet the PIC minimums, but at

at least you're making decent money and probably doing it in a twin. Even when you meet the

PIC minimums, there's a good chance you'll end up as a SIC in a medium anyway.

Starting salary for PIC entry level is about $52,000-$55,000/yr. It will be less for SIC.

Entry pilots getting hired on almost always start in a light single like an Astar or 206 or 407. Then from there. You can ask to go right into the IFR program as a SIC but why do that when you have the hours to make what a PIC makes?

I don't know. To me it makes more sense dollarwise just to wait it out and get hired on as a PIC. Afterall you already have a job and are logging flight time quite fast anyway. It won't be long before you make it to the PIC hour requirment.

Just my $.02

Thanks to each of you for the responses. I do feel fortunate that I have a position in which I fly as much as I do. Believe it or not, my interest in the possibility of a SIC position is not totally selfish. My newborn daughter is at Children's Hospital a lot and specialty doctor bills are tough on a CFI wage with no insurance, so the benefits would be nice. One way or the other I will stick it out and hopefully be down in the GOM with a good company soon.

Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate the viewpoints. Out of curiosity while weighing options, are the SIC positions usually filled at less than the PIC minimums?

Thanks to each of you for the responses. I do feel fortunate that I have a position in which I fly as much as I do. Believe it or not, my interest in the possibility of a SIC position is not totally selfish. My newborn daughter is at Children's Hospital a lot and specialty doctor bills are tough on a CFI wage with no insurance, so the benefits would be nice. One way or the other I will stick it out and hopefully be down in the GOM with a good company soon.

Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate the viewpoints. Out of curiosity while weighing options, are the SIC positions usually filled at less than the PIC minimums?

Two to three years ago, companies were hiring SICs with 500 hours. Those days are gone for now with the current glut of 1000 hour wonders. Most of the GoM operators have raised minimums to 1250 or more because they can.