Bell Factory School

Good idea? I think it depends on how much time you have. If you're a low time pilot, it probably

won't do much for you. If you have enough hours to get a decent tour job or the GOM, it might

get you some attention. I tell people not to spend any money on turbine training, but the factory

training may help. Way too expensive for what it may get you, though, IMHO. I heard the factory

charges somewhere around $1375 an hour for a B model. Where are you at on time?

Anyone who really wants you to have that school (or is going to require it), will pay for you to get it. Unless it's a really a small operator who is strapped for cash, it won't make a difference.

Let someone else pay for it. Great school, good info, but way, way overpriced.

Good idea? I think it depends on how much time you have. If you're a low time pilot, it probably

won't do much for you. If you have enough hours to get a decent tour job or the GOM, it might

get you some attention. I tell people not to spend any money on turbine training, but the factory

training may help. Way too expensive for what it may get you, though, IMHO. I heard the factory

charges somewhere around $1375 an hour for a B model. Where are you at on time?

I currently have 1350 hours but not one of them was a loggable turbine hour..

I currently have 1350 hours but not one of them was a loggable turbine hour..

The only people I know that have paid for factory training are private owners that wanted some

advanced training and then also got a break on their insurance. Unless you have gobs of money,

I wouldn't consider it. If you will consider the GOM for a job, it will eventually happen. Unless

a pilot was in the military, most have zero time in turbines when hired.

I'm currently working for a farmer who owns a 206BII and his insurance required the school and 15 hours of dual. I had about 960pic in Robbies. We tried to work with the insurance companies and tried to find scholarships, but in the end he paid to send me to the school. I did agree to pay for my own travel and lodging for the school, but the rest of the training costs were covered by him, all for a 6 week (weather dependent) contract.

I agree it's a great course as an initial intro into the 206. The pilots are great and the maintenance detail can't be beat (good BBQ too!!) However, that said, I don't think I could ever justify $10k of my own money to go to the course unless I was independently wealthy. Like many have said, you will get a turbine transition from your employer. If you want to go to the school, get an employer to give you the transition and some time to get comfortable in the ship, then go to Bell for the refresher course. It's only 3 days and slightly less expensive, and gives you time to work on convincing your employer they should send you. ;)

With the number of hours you have I agree with what the others have said about getting an employer to pay for it.

The only reason I would pay for it is if I was low hours. For example, when I spoke with the owner of Smokey Mountain Helicopters he said that he hires his pilots with only 500 hours of experience if they have the Bell Factory School. For someone like me that is building hours part time, only getting about 100 hours a year that would get me a touring job flying turbines 5 years earlier, for only 10k. That for me, in my situation is a good deal.