Revisiting Kneeboards

I have done some searching here and other places and most of it seems to be dated information. Its time in my training I invest in a kneeboard as chasing my freq list and misc notes on airports around the cockpit gets tiring after a while. In addition, instrument rating is the next thing on the docket for me in a month or so and I would like something to help me out in this next adventure as well. The chart is fine under my leg, but I would like to be a little more organized, especially on my checkride coming up. Like headsets, this can be a personal item and I realize it, but any help from those that have gone before me would be invaluable.

Not really interesting in something fancy, prefer simple. The tri-folds that I have seen appear to be large, cumbersome and it appears could get in the way of the flight controls when open. After narrowing it down, I figured some outside assistance would help. My first option I thought about was to get the inexpensive aluminum ASA VFR/IFR type and mod it maybe with rings on the right side for laminated freq. sheets etc. This is perhaps the most inexpensive and my school has these. But I have also seen some like the 9G style that seem simple yet has some available options if needed.

Any thoughts from anyone would be welcome. Not trying to bust the bank or have something exotic or cumbersome. KISS is the idea here with some limited future growth perhaps. Thanks in advance everyone!

I have done some searching here and other places and most of it seems to be dated information. Its time in my training I invest in a kneeboard as chasing my freq list and misc notes on airports around the cockpit gets tiring after a while. In addition, instrument rating is the next thing on the docket for me in a month or so and I would like something to help me out in this next adventure as well. The chart is fine under my leg, but I would like to be a little more organized, especially on my checkride coming up. Like headsets, this can be a personal item and I realize it, but any help from those that have gone before me would be invaluable.

Not really interesting in something fancy, prefer simple. The tri-folds that I have seen appear to be large, cumbersome and it appears could get in the way of the flight controls when open. After narrowing it down, I figured some outside assistance would help. My first option I thought about was to get the inexpensive aluminum ASA VFR/IFR type and mod it maybe with rings on the right side for laminated freq. sheets etc. This is perhaps the most inexpensive and my school has these. But I have also seen some like the 9G style that seem simple yet has some available options if needed.

Any thoughts from anyone would be welcome. Not trying to bust the bank or have something exotic or cumbersome. KISS is the idea here with some limited future growth perhaps. Thanks in advance everyone!

If you are flying the R-22 or R-44 there's a clear plastic floormat on each side. I have my students write freqs, airport diagrams, whatever they need and put it under the mat. All ya gotta do is look between your feet real quick and there ya go, just make sure you write kinda large so it's easy to read.

For various notes, frequencies and such I use medical tape on my leg. Before the flight I will cover about half of my upper thigh with medical tape and then I have a sharpie available and when needed I will wright it down on my leg. Works for me.

The VertaBoard advertised here seems interesting, though never seen nor used it. I've been using "The Ultimate Kneeboard" see it at http://www.harper-aviation.com/. I had to add more velcro to the strap to keep it secure around my skinny legs, but its been great since. It has not interfered with Schweizer nor B206 controls, don't know about Robbies.

On the other knee, I've attached a 3rd Hand Chart Holder, see it at Sporty's http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DI...3&CATID=168, copy & paste links. I made my own 3rd Hand Chart Holder because I think the clip that is on the original is WAY too big and gets in way of reading charts and eventually the elastic band stretches and wears out.

Have fun!

If you're in the robbie, dont go and buy a kneeboard with a hard spine. On your left leg it will interfere with the controls and on your right you cant get the door closed. You could tell a lot of people learned this the hard way in the robbies I did my instrument in because all the paint was scraped of the center post of the T. Betcha you didnt think o' that Frank!

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I like the idea of the med tape on the leg as scratch paper. Not sure why I didn't think of this as I write down patient info on my medical gloves and also on med tape on victim involved on multi-casualty incidents on fire-medical calls. Can't see the forest for all these damn trees!

Not in Robbies at this point in time, but they very well could be in the near future during my CPL.

I recommend and use this one

It straps firmly to your leg. It has a see-through Velcro strap in addition to the top clip to keep your charts from blowing away when the doors are off the helicopter. It is reversible (i.e. - Pens/pencils store on one side and binder rings on the other and you can swap sides, LH or RH, however). The pen/pencil side also has a small Velcro closure pouch you can store a finger light or batteries for your ANR, flashlight, etc. I buy the Sharpie shorty pens and stick them in the pen/pencil holder side, then use them to write on laminations I made with diagrams, checklists, etc..., or on the clear vinyl over the top of paper underneath. After the flight, I go over the Sharpie marks (which are supposed to be permanent) with a dry erase marker, that makes them "erasable", then just wipe the marks off with a paper towel or cloth. Works great.

It is also a small footprint, so it doesn't get in the way of the cyclic & collective. The Vertaboard looks suspect to me in that respect, but I personally haven't tried one, so reserve flames please.

Roger,

Whats happening!

left a message earlier today. -27c in Alaska so ill make it short.

Not directly related to knee boards, but I find it a Dry erase pen is worth its weight in gold. Inside of your windshield works like a champ. Freq's, GPS points, easy to plot and keep your mind outside the A/C.

Take care talk soon. P.D

nbit,

Thanks for the input as the 9G was one of the ones I was specifically looking at. Is the stabilizer something that is needed for this unit?

I have a 9G Plus. Mine came with the mesh support, and I think you would want it, makes for a nice fit to your leg. It is a nice board, but like most things in aviation, its over priced. Shop around, keep a lookout on ebay, should be able to pick one up for $25 to $35.00

Fly Safe

Clark B)

I still use an older version of the 9G. I turned it around and use a binder clip to secure the notepad and a vinyl pocket my refuel (hot refuel) checklist sits in for ready reference, and the little clip on the board holds the pages from being blown around by the wind when the other guy is flying. The vinyl pocket also protects the 5"x7" legal notepad from water during the rainy season, especially when I fly left seat.

I also carry lots of Bic mechanical pencils and one or two pens. The kneeboard doesn't hold them very well, though. I usually rely on a pocket.

For various notes, frequencies and such I use medical tape on my leg. Before the flight I will cover about half of my upper thigh with medical tape and then I have a sharpie available and when needed I will wright it down on my leg. Works for me.

Fuse,

That's an excellent idea. I think I'm going to try it.

I'm always writting down all the local freqs on paper and stuffing it in my kneeboard. I've discovered the joy of flying one-handed and managing the controls effectivly for left handed use for changing freqs, looking at the map, etc.

I'm about a week away from taking my PPL checkride....

Bristol

(I wonder what Neal Tomlinson would think if he saw dry erase markings on the inside of all his helicopters..lol)

I bought a small cllipboard with low-profile clip at WalMart, put a couple of slots in the sides with a Dremel tool, put an elastic strap with a FasTex buckle from a sporting goods store, and have a perfectly workable kneeboard for a very few dollars. It's just big enough to hold a standard small pad, same size as a kneeboard, and just about the right size.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the input and a lot of additional and useful information as well. Love the shortcuts and dry erase marker ideas. It looks like the 9G will be the ticket from the amount if feedback I have gotten. Though I think I am going to add a dry erase marker and write on one of the laminated pages for quick notes. The chief pilot is very particular and protective of his bubbles, so I may have to approach it carefully.

If anyone has more ideas please pass them on for the rest of us new guys!

Bristol

(I wonder what Neal Tomlinson would think if he saw dry erase markings on the inside of all his helicopters..lol)

Don't know that I would worry about Neal............................

But Joey......... He'd be pickin pieces of your A$$ out of his teeth for weeks!mad0245.gif

Good luck with the ride

Fly Safe

Clark B)

• 2 weeks later...

One of my instructors uses the 9G Reversible Kneeboard and let me use it on some of our dual X/C. Perfect size for use in the R22. For my solo X/C I bought a ASA VFR board since it was cheap and I was still researching better boards. It lasted about half the flight before I torn it off my leg. Thing was just wide enough to rub against the central column and made it a little difficult to get at the radio and GPS.

I have since then purchased the 9G Reversible and extra flip pockets. A much better fit.

• 1 month later...
I recommend and use this one

It straps firmly to your leg. It has a see-through Velcro strap in addition to the top clip to keep your charts from blowing away when the doors are off the helicopter. It is reversible (i.e. - Pens/pencils store on one side and binder rings on the other and you can swap sides, LH or RH, however). The pen/pencil side also has a small Velcro closure pouch you can store a finger light or batteries for your ANR, flashlight, etc. I buy the Sharpie shorty pens and stick them in the pen/pencil holder side, then use them to write on laminations I made with diagrams, checklists, etc..., or on the clear vinyl over the top of paper underneath. After the flight, I go over the Sharpie marks (which are supposed to be permanent) with a dry erase marker, that makes them "erasable", then just wipe the marks off with a paper towel or cloth. Works great.

It is also a small footprint, so it doesn't get in the way of the cyclic & collective. The Vertaboard looks suspect to me in that respect, but I personally haven't tried one, so reserve flames please.

I too use this exact kneeboard. I've had it for four years now and it's as good as new. I'm glad I made the investment and bought this one. I seem to remember paying over $45 for mine though. It's reversible for the lucky few helicopter pilots like me. (I only have to take my hand off the collective to write with my good hand :P ) The only bad thing about it is it's on my left leg and when I sit all the way back it can block my view from the GPS. Solution - Place higher on thigh. You probably already bought a kneeboard since you posted this in Janurary, but if you are unhappy with the one you got, defenitly get this one. Good luck.