S-76

Norush

I am looking to get qualified in a S-76 and some S-76 hours w/ ERA or PHI. I am hoping that a current or recent hire S-76 pilot would share their insight.

1. Does the company that you work for send you right away to Fight Safety?

2. Is there anything that I could do prior to going to flight safety to better prepare me?

3. Do you leave flight safety w/ an ATP? What model is it that you train in?

4. Do you have a choice between a 7 and 14-day shift?

5. As a new S-76 pilot I understand you are part of a pool of pilots. How does this work?

6. Do you work out of one base for your 7 or 14 day shift?

7. Where do you live while on duty?

Thanks in advance

Norush

Edited by Norush

I am looking to get my S-76 rating and S-76 hours w/ ERA or PHI. I am hoping that a current or recent hire S-76 pilot would share their insight.

1. Does the company that you work for send you right away to Fight Safety?

2. Is there anything that I could do prior to going to flight safety to better prepare me?

3. Do you leave flight safety w/ an ATP? What model rating is it that you train in?

4. Do you have a choice between a 7 and 14-day shift?

5. As a new S-76 pilot I understand you are part of a pool of pilots. How does this work?

6. Do you work out of one base for your 7 or 14 day shift?

7. Where do you live while on duty?

Thanks in advance

Norush

No one flies S-76's?

I have no current information, but I'll tell you how it was the last I knew, a year or so ago.

1. It depends. Probably not, but maybe.

2. Probably not, unless you have a current RFM.

3. No, unless you already had one when you went. You train in whatever model they send you for, probably the C+.

4. Maybe. It depends on the job.

5. Each hitch you go wherever you're told. You cover open jobs - vacation relief, ad hoc specials, etc. You may spend the whole hitch on one job, or you may move to a different base every day.

6. Yes. No. Maybe. Every week is different when you're in the pool. Be prepared for anything.

7. Wherever the company's quarters are, unless you want to get your own place, which makes no sense. A room in a trailer, maybe a bedroom in an apartment, maybe a motel room. Depends, no way to say for sure.

Actually there are type ratings for helicopters, you just have to leave the US to see them. Give the guy a break.

It is actually more complicated than that. If you hold a Helicopter ATP, any helicopter you take a checkride in can be added to your certificate. Even (heaven forbid) an R22. There is an AC out on this. But it only applies to Heli ATP's and is optional.

• 3 weeks later...
Umm, no. Not any longer. It used to be that way, but now you can only be type-rated in aircraft with a maximum gross weight of > 12,500 lb, and that has been in effect for some time.

So you would need a type rating for say an S-92 but not a 76 right?