Type of Helicopters being used by Flight Schools

I'm curious to know what type of helicopters are being used by flight schools in the US. I've read that R22's are predominantly used for training by flight schools. Schweizers come in behind that. I'm also curious to know how many schools are using R44s for training. I looked at Bristow's website and they have a total of 47 Schweizers and 15 R22s in their fleet across schools. They break this down further into 37 Schweizer VFR, 10 Schweizer IFR and 8 R22 VFR and 7 R22 IFR.

Just wondering if there is anywhere to get some stats on the following:

Number of flight schools using R22's only for training

Number of flight schools using Schweizers only for training

Number of flight schools using R22's and Schweizers

Number of flight schools using something different

no place to get stats...but

Some schools do offer R44 as a trainer. In fact, TwinAir has one and will gladly train you in it.....if you want to spend that kind of money. Usually the R44 runs just a bit more than double the cost in a 22. Not exactly cheap.

There are schools out there that fly the Enstrom, or the Bell 47 as a trainer. If you look at the websites for the schools listed on this site, you will find a variety of aircraft. Many even offer turbine training time....again, if you got the bucks to pay for it.

Is there some reason you are looking at the 44 instead of the 22?? For some larger students, I know its a size issue. If you are just starting out, I would recommend learning in the 22 first and then moving on to the 44 after you get your PPL and some time.

Goldy

Is there some reason you are looking at the 44 instead of the 22?? For some larger students, I know its a size issue. If you are just starting out, I would recommend learning in the 22 first and then moving on to the 44 after you get your PPL and some time.

Goldy

Mostly wondering about the benefit of doing training in the 44. It is so expensive already to get your CFI. I'm asking myself why increase my costs to do some training in the 44? I already live on grilled cheese sandwiches. :)

Also looking ahead at CFI job options. If a lot of flight schools are moving to doing training in 44s, then they will most likely be looking for CFIs with 44 hours.

Mostly wondering about the benefit of doing training in the 44. It is so expensive already to get your CFI. I'm asking myself why increase my costs to do some training in the 44? I already live on grilled cheese sandwiches.

The only reason to obtain R-44 during your training are to teach in one, or do commercial jobs in one.

The cost to buy the time afterwards is expensive, much cheaper to upgrade some time during your training than it is to pay for it later ($200/hr difference vs $500/hr later)

Also looking ahead at CFI job options. If a lot of flight schools are moving to doing training in 44s, then they will most likely be looking for CFIs with 44 hours.

I don't have any specific numbers, but I can tell you that dozens of flight schools do use the R-44 for instrument training. If you do some searching for schools around the country, you'll find school after school that flies the R-22 and R-44 as their fleet mix.

I don't have any specific numbers, but I can tell you that dozens of flight schools do use the R-44 for instrument training. If you do some searching for schools around the country, you'll find school after school that flies the R-22 and R-44 as their fleet mix.

I looked at about 20 schools and found that at least half of them are using the R-44 as well as the R-22. Looks like the R-44 is being used mostly for Instrument Rating. Is there an advantage to training in the Raven II vs Raven I?

I looked at about 20 schools and found that at least half of them are using the R-44 as well as the R-22. Looks like the R-44 is being used mostly for Instrument Rating. Is there an advantage to training in the Raven II vs Raven I?

your more likely to stay alive than being in the 22! e :lol: :rolleyes: :D :o

Is there an advantage to training in the Raven II vs Raven I?

Raven II has more HP, and a greater payload.

Raven I is carbeureted, which means it is subject to carb ice...which is not a great thing when it happens.

Raven II has demonstrated that its engine can fail (vapor lock) in conditions over 100 degrees F. I was flying the Raven I yesterday and it was 106 on the tarmac.

RavenII's also had problems early on, the engine would quit and they couldnt really nail down why for a couple years.

Raven II's cost a bit more to do inspections and service due to the added complexity of fuel injection vs. carbs.

Goldy

adam32,

We really like the 1100. Lots of power. A bit touchy on the controls with the dual hydralics. The students love it. Does a great job on the pipeline. Had a few wiring problems early on but got that ironed out. I just wish George would get things straightened out. It is a workhorse.

adam32,

We really like the 1100. Lots of power. A bit touchy on the controls with the dual hydralics. The students love it. Does a great job on the pipeline. Had a few wiring problems early on but got that ironed out. I just wish George would get things straightened out. It is a workhorse.

Thanks for the update Bossman. I too hope he will get things straightened out, it would make a great ship for me out here in California. If you know of any for lease, please let me know.

Picture_1.png

390 an hour or 300? If its the former you should fix that ad.

The cost of fuel has been the biggest contributor to the cost increase. The add was for the Alouettes and it was 300 for the machine 40 for the instructor. The acquisition cost of the FH1100 has also been a factor in the increase. The 390 rate is for training we get 800 for commercial work.

Bossman- I dont want to hijack this thread but could you start a new thread and show the performance numbers of the 1100 ? Do you have a hook, max hook weight, max payload, Vne, etc. ?

Thanks,

Bossman- I dont want to hijack this thread but could you start a new thread and show the performance numbers of the 1100 ? Do you have a hook, max hook weight, max payload, Vne, etc. ?

Thanks,

+1

I would also be interested in that.