Ice \ snow damage

500E

Can any of you Alaskan, or Scandinavian flyers tell me what sort of blade erosion you experience due to ice particals \ falling snow? how long does the paint last on leading edge ? especially if you operate on unprepared sites, or do long line work over\in snow.

A couple of pictures would be real helpful both of the erosion strips & the leading edge.

Like Einstein Said: Its all relative bro

A good place to start would be the tech reps at your airframe manufacturer. If your flying the MD just ask for Lynn. :D

Im my experience snow is less abraisive to blades than sand/dust obviously and even rain. Your main concern longlining while its snowing is accretion rather than abrasion. If the snow is powder or light you'll have to use a fairly long line to even see the load anyways. In my limited experience as a non pilot in the heliski industry was that blades fared rather well- as in no concern about abrasion on the A-Star and the 407. In my current experience the 206 blades do well but I try to limit the ammount of contact with snow the blades get- I dont fly in hard snow for obvious reasons and I try not to move too much air close to the ground to minimize whiteout. The Schweizer blades' paint can be worn off by looking at it too hard :rolleyes:

In short, I wouldnt worry about unduly wearing your blades in the snow. I find they actually wear faster in the summer making off airport/dusty pad landings. I keep a can of RustOleum around to go over the schweizer blades when they start showing metal on the abraision strips- just make sure to try and use the same amount on each one.

P.S. - It snows in places other than Alaska and Scandanavia ;)

The Schweizer blades' paint can be worn off by looking at it too hard :rolleyes:

P.S. - It snows in places other than Alaska and Scandanavia ;)

Hahahahaha, I was just about to say the Schweizer will be bare metal after just flying in clear and a million. Here in ND our 206's don't seem to have too much problem in the snow. I think the rain wears them more then snow. Dust and sand of course is damaging.

Reason I asked was regarding a 300 with a (cargo hook) from Scandinavia that had been used for rescuing broken snowmobiles, which showed strange wear\ pitting on leading edges.

HB we use RustOlium found it stands up well.

I forgot that it snows in other places even the UK but if the NZ fliers start I would not be able to decide if they were taking the !!! :)

Thanks for input all

I am still at a loss as an AP assurers me that it is common in Scandinavia to find this wear in blades used in snow ( perhaps the Scandinavians have different snow) :lol: it was on a 300 so the comments regarding Schweitzer is noted

Probably not very long... I've never seen paint on a leading edge before. :lol:

Overseas, we sprayed the leading edges on our 'hawks as part of every daily. It doesn't upset the balance to spray on a thin coat, and the paint takes the abuse of sand and such as opposed to the blades.