How to find a job with less than 1000 hrs

Greetings Everyone; before I proceed, I’d like to say that English it is not my primary language, so I apologize in advance if I don’t use the proper terminology or if something doesn’t make sense.

That said, I was wondering if anybody has any stories of low time Pilots that have found jobs by knocking on the right door. I understand that for this particular type of job knowing the right person can make a big difference even if you are a low time Pilot, but perhaps knocking on the right door can lead to meet that “right person”.

Maybe this can provide us (low time Pilots) with some guidance on which doors to knock and what type of industry (Agricultural, power line inspection, etc) would be more likely to hire low time pilots. I’m pretty sure there are a lot of barriers involved with hiring such Pilots (Insurance for example) but I’m also sure there are Pilots out there with less than 1000 hrs with a job.

Most low-time pilots that I know that have picked up flying jobs didn't do it with a job applications or resumes; they did it by knowing the right people. So, as you sort of eluded to, how do you know the right people? Well, I wish I had a good answer for that, and maybe someone here will. My best advice is 1.) to always try to give off your best impression, 2.) make an attempt to network.

The aviation community, especially the helicopter sector of it, is very small. So always stay on top of your game. For instance, always show up to your flight lessons early and prepared. If someone that needs a pilot happens to ask your instructor to recommend a pilot, he/she probably isn't going to recommend the student that can't even make his own flight lessons on time, shows up unprepared, doesn't maintain a somewhat neat appearance, and things of that nature. Obviously, your flying skills are important, but employers don't want hot-shots. They want safe, cautious pilots. Demonstrate to your instructor and anyone around the airport/airspace that you have a respect for the machine. Don't be a jackass in the air. Always perform thorough preflights. Basically, just be on-point. You never know who might be watching you.

Get out there and network. Be an active (and respectful) participant in online communities such as this. Go to Heli-Expo and any helo events you can. I've been to one Heli-Expo. I didn't go to any of the booths for companies that are hiring pilots (as I don't even have my private certificate yet), but still made several good contacts. It wasn't from walking around bothering people, but from just BSing with the dude standing next to me about some cool display or presentation and showing a passion for aviation. I got a business card from my copilot in a simulator. We were joking around as I was busy crashing and he ended up offering me a job in his company (non-flying job until I got my certs). LOL. Don't go out there and harass people that look important. Just go be around aviation, and your passion will be recognized. Remember that most of these people have the same passion you do.

Try to hang out at the airport and bullshit with pilots that aren't busy. Consider working part-time on the flight line. I was a line-guy for a small FBO, but it did business with all kinds of aircraft/operations (flight schools, corporate jets, helos, airlines, turboprop charters, small prop planes etc). I worked my ass off. I always went out of my way to make customers happy and took good care of their aircraft. I can't count the number of times I had customers tell me to call them when I got my commercial certificate. For instance, I have a business card from a United Express captain who is in charge of (or on the team of people in charge of) hiring pilots.

Now, most of these interactions won't actually end up providing you a job, but it only takes one. The more contacts you have, the easier it will be to get that first flying job.

I wish I had more advice to give you, but I'm not even a pilot yet. I've just been around it enough to see how things have worked out for other pilots.

Good luck.

BTW. Your English is great.

Hi All,

MXPilot's question was exactly mine, and bqmassey's response definitely lowered my blood pressure.

I've always been one for planning, and my current plan is bulletproof (for the most part) up until I finish training. I haven't started yet, but that's why I want to make sure I plan out everything from beginning to end.

The school I'm looking at is a bit out of necessity instead of quality. I have the GI Bill and to save money, live with my older mother...and there is only one Part 141 certified school in Las Vegas. Point is, they don't guarantee CFI employment after finishing.....so, again, it's where my disconnect is in my plan: After Training.

Pack your bags and hit the road. Make a short list of every company you know of that has been know to hire low timers, and visit each one in person. Forward a resume ahead of time and let them know you're coming. Call the Chief Pilot the day before your visit so he/she is expecting you and ask what time they might be able to chat, even if it's for 2 minutes. Respect their time and they will remember you for it vs the rest who show up unannounced.

Come prepared to start work tomorrow. Bring your helmet/headset and whatever else you need to live out of your car while you get settled. Know a little about the company before you apply. Heard many stories of newbie pilots showing up for an interview without a clue as to what machines the company flys, what work they do, how many bases or where they are. Doesn't leave a good impression. Based on this knowledge of the company, relate it to how you can best serve them starting tomorrow!

And never give up. Toughest part is getting your foot in the door, even if it's just pumping gas or washing machines.

Well West Coaster...

That sounds like something I would do. I've already started networking as much as possible. This site is the best site I've seen so far. In one day, I've learned more from these forums then I have talking with every pilot I know. I hope you guys don't mind me setting up camp here. (Donations forthcoming)

At the very least, I have my being single, never married, no kids....I can do whatever I need to do and go wherever I need to go and I'm ready for that. Hitting the road to find a job actually sounds fun to me, but I'm weird like that.

The school I'm looking at is a bit out of necessity instead of quality. I have the GI Bill and to save money, live with my older mother...and there is only one Part 141 certified school in Las Vegas. Point is, they don't guarantee CFI employment after finishing.....so, again, it's where my disconnect is in my plan: After Training.

since when is there a 141 school in vegas...? who is it? ...not sure they're telling you the whole truth

Ok...yes, it's not the whole truth.

According to Mojave Aviation, they will have their Part 141 certification next month.

And Stars and Stripes Air Services says they'll have theirs within the next 2 months.

Either way....neither one of them do any kind of CFI employment afterward, unfortunately.

Ok...yes, it's not the whole truth.

According to Mojave Aviation, they will have their Part 141 certification next month.

And Stars and Stripes Air Services says they'll have theirs within the next 2 months.

Either way....neither one of them do any kind of CFI employment afterward, unfortunately.

Don't hold your breath :)

...wanna know when stars & stripes told me they'd have 141 'next month': when they first started up in dec 07.

and monarch sky said they'd have it soon in march..im sure you've been to both, neither looks organized enough yet to be approved if they are in the process.

i personally know people at both and don't like to look like im talking bad about them, but really i wouldn't waste time waiting for their promises if youre ready to start now.

Does Monarch have helicopter training? I thought they were mostly a flying club. What helicopter do they use?

If you don't need to go part 141 then it's not the end of the world if you don't.

The best thing to do is find a school that fits you. You should do a intro flight with them and get a feel for their operation. Ask the CFIs and students a lot of questions.

There are NO schools out there that will say they hire ALL of their graduates. They can't make that claim. Many schools though do try to hire as many of their students as they can. This is not only good for the student but the school as well.

I didn't get hired by the school I trained at cause they didn't have any openings. I got on with another one that did. The best thing to do is to pick a good school you like, work at it hard. You should always be on time, stay late and study. Help out if you can. Then they may take notice and see the attitude you have and that goes a long way in getting a job.

JD

Yea, Monarch has Helicopter training....if you want to call it that.

DeltaFoxy and myself have been talking through PM's and it turns out that those two schools aren't all what they've been telling me they are. See, I'm currently in San Diego....so I'm still researching schools remotely. Both of those Vegas schools are unorganized and I can tell that just by either their websites or how long it takes for a reply through email.

In terms of Part 141....it is the end of the world for me. The GI Bill covers 60% of the bill (minus PPL)....so I feel I would already be ahead of the game and not be as deep in debt as others may be, so I have to find that Part 141.....it's a requirement of the GI Bill.

Hiring after training will definitely be a question when I tour schools. If they do, don't....I still think I'll make it. Some way, some how.

I got lucky just sending out resumes to any company with the name helicopter in it......but what I wanted to mention is the companies that hire all the CFI's arent always all that great. A competing school where I trained (won't mention names) hired all their CFI's (for the most part), well long story short they currently have 16 cfi's 4 students and maybe 7 birds...and they were never really all that busy to begin with...so I suggest you follow the advice the other members have given you and get your name out there...good luck!

Greetings Everyone; before I proceed, I’d like to say that English it is not my primary language, so I apologize in advance if I don’t use the proper terminology or if something doesn’t make sense.

That said, I was wondering if anybody has any stories of low time Pilots that have found jobs by knocking on the right door. I understand that for this particular type of job knowing the right person can make a big difference even if you are a low time Pilot, but perhaps knocking on the right door can lead to meet that “right person”.

Maybe this can provide us (low time Pilots) with some guidance on which doors to knock and what type of industry (Agricultural, power line inspection, etc) would be more likely to hire low time pilots. I’m pretty sure there are a lot of barriers involved with hiring such Pilots (Insurance for example) but I’m also sure there are Pilots out there with less than 1000 hrs with a job.

Years ago when I reached an experience level (say CFI), I started at the north end of the field and knocked every door to the south end of the field. I did that with tenacity and frequently. Made a lot of friends too! Once you start teaching, you get a reputation (as a great instructor!), and before you know it, they will start calling you. As it ended up for me, I flew for just about every hanger down the flight line. Great experiences

Just get out there and let people know who you are.

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Years ago when I reached an experience level (say CFI), I started at the north end of the field and knocked every door to the south end of the field. I did that with tenacity and frequently. Made a lot of friends too! Once you start teaching, you get a reputation (as a great instructor!), and before you know it, they will start calling you. As it ended up for me, I flew for just about every hanger down the flight line. Great experiences

Just get out there and let people know who you are.

Cheers

Rotorrodent

Thanks for your input Rotorrodent.