How do you become a helicopter pilot?

erger

Hi...

Yesterday on the radio I heard about a free seminar to learn more information on becoming a helicopter pilot. Are these seminars legit? Where would you go to learn to be a helicopter pilot?

Check out some books, research on the internet, and ask questions on forums. Once you figure out what the whole pilot thing is about and have a list of questions, then go visit some flight schools in your area.

A seminar is kind of like a sales pitch imo, the last company that was doing tons of seminars was promising a whole lot, taking a lot of money, and delivering nothing. If you go, just make sure to leave your wallet, checkbook, and kidneys at home :-D

You should totally go to the seminar and report back to us! Or you could give them grief by standing up and asking some tough questions...how many hours do your flight instructors have of dual given? How many of your CFI graduates in the last year have flying jobs? What happens to CFIs that you don't hire? If schools train 4-5 times more CFIs than they can hire, what happens to the other 80%? What sort of job search assistance do you provide?

The way to learn about the industry is to sit down with the surly owner of a small flight school who'll tell you that you have a tough road ahead of you. You'll be a nomad for a while, and that can be tough on your family life. You'll never make much, and you'll struggle to pay your loans and save for retirement. I know several guys like this who laid out the industry for me...even though it was after I already had most of my training done, it's been helpful.

A glossy seminar where they talk about the freedom of flight and the looming pilot shortage is just a marketing tool.

Check out some books, research on the internet, and ask questions on forums. Once you figure out what the whole pilot thing is about and have a list of questions, then go visit some flight schools in your area.

A seminar is kind of like a sales pitch imo, the last company that was doing tons of seminars was promising a whole lot, taking a lot of money, and delivering nothing. If you go, just make sure to leave your wallet, check book, and kidneys at home :-D

Especaily the Kidneys

Google Silver State, for an over view of how not to, then if you feel you really want to fly helios visit a number of schools and get the feel as to which suits you, do not put large sums of money down, pay as you go, or for a few hours, but no more than you feel you can loose without hurting.

I am not saying all schools are going to rip you off but there are a lot on this site who have lost appreciable sums due to schools going under.

Hi...

Yesterday on the radio I heard about a free seminar to learn more information on becoming a helicopter pilot. Are these seminars legit? Where would you go to learn to be a helicopter pilot?

I would go as long as there isn't any fee or hidden agenda by the sponsor. You would be wise to learn all that you can from all sources.

I will parrot others comments: NEVER, NEVER prepay flight lessons. Pay as you go.

Enjoy the journey

Cheers

Rotorrodent

I, as well as others on here have too, knew a guy who went to Silver State Helicopters to learn how to fly. They required the full payment upfront before they would allow you to start. After a month of school , and 2 weeks from his Private check ride the SSH filed bankrupt and he was out everything. He lost all of his money, he was just shy on the hours to get his Private, and to top it all off he is still paying on a loan than he never got to use. Now he can't even afford to get the last few hours he needs.

With that being said, I will mimic what all others on here have said. Don't under any circumstances pay upfront for anything. Pay them for the time that you do sit in class, and fly. That is, if you do decide to become a helicopter pilot.

Best of luck in your journey

... and to top it all off he is still paying on a loan than he never got to use. Now he can't even afford to get the last few hours he needs.

Please tell your friend that he doesn't have to pay on the loan if he received nothing -- according to the Fair Lending Practices Act.

• Like 1

Please tell your friend that he doesn't have to pay on the loan if he received nothing -- according to the Fair Lending Practices Act.

I will do just that...

I haven't talked to him in a while, so I don't know if he knows about that or not.

If you want to fly helicopters or think you may. Go take a flight lesson or an intro flight! That is the only way to know if it is something you want to do.

If you are anything like me you will be hooked. It is not an easy road though! I now have my Commercial Heli and so far haven't made any money! No one promised me I would either. I was told up front how difficult it would be! I appreciate that fact and did it anyway.

I'm hoping to get my CFI-H this year and I'm currently working on getting my airplane CFI. I just got my Instrument Airplane and hope to be able to get my Instrument Helicopter this year as well.

I've spent a ton of money, but I've also been doing something I absolutely LOVE to do.

I'm flying!

My hopes are to be a dual rated Airplane and Helicopter CFI by the middle of Summer.

I should point out I've been a Sport Pilot-Airplane CFI for 3 years and that is my main job. I don't make a lot of money but I get paid to fly and have a lot of fun doing it!

Kandace