short video

teddy

probably fixated on the panel while pulling pitch and pushing left pedal. only reason i can think of why an experienced show pilot would get into a torque related DR.

The fact that his response to the roll was to jerk her off the ground is telling...instincts are hard to overcome, especially when the corrective action is not practiced, only theoretically taught. The lesson; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Looks like the on set of dynamic rollover to me!

I saw an old Army training video on dynamic rollover many years ago. It was mainly on Huey's that sunk into the blacktop. The pilot would pull an arm load of collective and because of the tailrotor, the left skid would break loose first and it would roll right over!

Same happened in the Vietnam when they would slam down in the muck to unload troops. They would be under fire and extremely light, so they would pull a ton of power and flip it right over.

If you pick a light R22 up really quickly on concrete, it will slide right.

If you pick a light R22 up really quickly on concrete, it will slide right.

Really. I did not know that. I know when I pulled the collective really quick the helicopter went straight up really fast and before I knew it I was at 100ft. I think I had less than 4gals (no aux) of fuel when I was relocating the helicopter to the other end of the airport. I'm glad it did not slide right on me because that would have been very ugly. My F150 pickup up was only about 10ft from of my rotor tips. Thanks for the heads up on that. I only did that once and now that I think about, it was really stupid.

The secret to staying alive while flying helicopters is to be smooth and never get in a hurry. Doing almost anything too quickly is likely to lead to a bad outcome. Pick it up slowly, set it down slowly, and don't be in a hurry to take off.

On the video, it's just poor pilot technique. He let it start turning as he pulled pitch, and that caused the heel to dig in. Letting the aircraft turn during any maneuver is bad. That leads to LTE in many cases, and is, IMO, the primary reason people get into LTE. When you pull pitch, do not let the nose move, ever, and never let it move unless you mean for it to. Sloppy pedal control will get you in trouble, eventually. Your feet need to be dancing and your hands doing almost nothing. One of the first things students should be taught is to KEEP THE #*%$! NOSE STRAIGHT AHEAD!!!

Edited by Gomer Pylot