Robinson Safety Course question

If you meet the hr requirements and already have the PIC signoff can you get a CFI sign off to instruct in the R44 at the factory instead of doing a checkride with the FAA or DPE?

I have 25hrs in the R44 with the PIC signoff and over 659hrs in the R22 with over 340hrs of instruction given in the R22. I ask cause I need to go to the safety course again (its been 6yrs now) and nobody in the flight dept at Robinson can really give me a definite answer. If I can then I will do the flight portion in the R44. I never received the signoff when I did my CFI checkride and I had the 25hrs then. Thanks

Steve

I thought you could and I did see that on the application form. I was also told from Mallory at Robinson that you could, but she was not 100% sure. She did talk to the chief pilot for Robinson but was not sure if she understood him correctly. I then talked to someone who answered the phone in the Robison flight dept and said he was about 99.9% sure you could not get the CFI endorsment but I could be signed off and that I would still need to do the checkride with the FAA or a DPE. So I was not totally sure. Thanks for the information.

Steve

From what I know, Tim Tucker is the only DPE there, and the CFI endorsement must be from a DPE or FAA Safety Inspector, so if Tim has time to fly with you, then you might get lucky, but he is quite busy. You should see if Mallory can speak with him and set it up.

, Tim Tucker is the only DPE there, and the CFI endorsement must be from a DPE or FAA Safety Inspector,

Doug has been a DPE for about 3 or 4 years now...

I spoke with Tim Tucker at the expo..

he didn't fly the 66 to Houston, he was out of the country as he often is and just got home for the Expo.

he said you CAN get your instructor sign off at the course.

aloha,

dp

Thank you to all who has helped me. I do appreciate it. Now I just have to find the time to get there to take the safety course. Was hoping to go in March but now I do not know when I will make it there as some other flying stuff has come up. Again thank you to all.

Steve

i have said it before and still feel the same;

the Robbie course will be the best $$ you will spend in your training experience.. it costs $500 and you fly with one of the best instructors on the planet and can do things you didn't realize you can do in a helicopter. Then, you get three days of training and a tour of the factory..

if you have not been.. go.. even if you never plan to fly Robbies for a career..

dp

the Robbie course will be the best $$ you will spend in your training experience.. it costs $500 and you fly with one of the best instructors on the planet and can do things you didn't realize you can do in a helicopter. Then, you get three days of training and a tour of the factory..

if you have not been.. go.. even if you never plan to fly Robbies for a career..

dp

I went to the course 6yrs ago this Feb and flew in the R22, so I need to do a refresher course. I figured I would fly the R44 this time though and get the CFI signoff as well. I have the PIC signoff already. Just not sure when I will get there but I hope to do it by this summer. Again thanks for all the great info.

Steve

dp

You forgot the free 44 flights up and down the coast ?

I will do that. It sounds challenging and fun. I like both.

He demonstrated the R22 to some country, India government or something along those lines and had it down that he entered the autorotation above the crowd did the ag turn and had the exact height down to the lowest possible altitude for recovery and then completed the full down auto in front of the audience. He described himself as a lot lighter back then so you probably can't pull it off dual. When I heard that I realized that God was in front of me. Have fun at the course.

• 4 years later...