ultralite Helicopters

growyoung

Hey all, I'm new here and not sure if this subject has been discussed or not. I'm looking into some of these ultralite hilecopters and have learned about some plans available but they seem a little pricey. Does anyone have information on Vortech plans, specifically on the CW-105F? I've heard not to good of reviews about the comany and that this particular bird has never flown. I still like the design, though. Any info. would be useful.

http://www.vortechonline.com/Merchant2/mer...uct_Code=XF2047

Right under the box the buy the construction plans is a link to buy the book "Learning to Fly Helicopters"

So I guess you're supposed to buy the plans, make everything from scratch, read the book, and fly off into the sunset?

....So I guess you're supposed to buy the plans, make everything from scratch, read the book, and fly off into the sunset?

Never to be heard from again!

Hey all, I'm new here and not sure if this subject has been discussed or not. I'm looking into some of these ultralite hilecopters and have learned about some plans available but they seem a little pricey. Does anyone have information on Vortech plans, specifically on the CW-105F? I've heard not to good of reviews about the comany and that this particular bird has never flown. I still like the design, though. Any info. would be useful.

There are two types of ultralight helicopters. Basically they fall into two categories. Those that fly, and those that regularly kill people.

Try to buy one from the first list.

To see ships on the second list, check out ebay. Most of the not so great ships end up there for sale...with very low hours.

You can also look up accident history at www.ntsb.gov

That site should open your eyes.

Good Luck, Goldy

Ok, you are either saying you don't like the idea of the double blades or you don't like the idea of a home built helo.

I don't like either one...the K-Max has intermeshing rotors and millions of dollars in R&D and they still have blade strikes with themselves...there's NO WAY I would risk my life flying something homebuilt like that...

I must say, it seems that some of you that responded are a little closed minded. If you do some research you would find that the intermeshing helo was used back in WWII and quite successfully. I looked at the accident report site and the errors that I saw were do mostly to pilot error in judgement or operation. I did not find one article on the K-maxx and none on ultralite or intermeshing helos. Maybe, just maybe, I overlooked something, but I did a search and nothing came back on the subject at hand about accidents.

I just thought maybe someone in cyber land might have some unbiased information about ultralite helo plans and reputable companies that supply them. I have not given up hope yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't like either one...the K-Max has intermeshing rotors and millions of dollars in R&D and they still have blade strikes with themselves...there's NO WAY I would risk my life flying something homebuilt like that...

Kmax only built 35, how many do you think/know had blade strikes? I belive 21 are still flying today, I would pass on the home built job. But have a lot of faith in the Kmax, it's also a very cool ship to watch and hear.

Kmax only built 35, how many do you think/know had blade strikes? I belive 21 are still flying today, I would pass on the home built job. But have a lot of faith in the Kmax, it's also a very cool ship to watch and hear.

I know you can cross-control them and they will touch blades...not sure if any have crashed from it but it has happened...

I talked with a Kmax pilot up in Omak about two years ago while he was waiting to go on a fire. He said you have to get pretty mixed up to have a cross control "collision" with the blades, and in 8000 hours, he'd never done it. Even still, it just scratches up a blades a bit and the damage isn't very serious.

I'm pretty sure the machines that lost blades in flight were results of corrosion inside the mast. They are hollow, and the corrosion and cracks went undetected until it was too late. I don't know if there was a redesign of the mast, or if the inspection process was just beefed up, but I don't think it's an issue any more.

These guys seem to be having pretty good luck with their ultralight/experimental birds.

They're made in FL and over the years/revisions have a fair number actually flying.

I don't have one or have toured the factory or anything, so my opinion is probably worth what you paid for it. B)

http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/closed.asp

• 3 weeks later...
I must say, it seems that some of you that responded are a little closed minded. If you do some research you would find that the intermeshing helo was used back in WWII and quite successfully.

There is a huge difference between professionally manufactured production helicopter with mesh rotors and a freaky ultralight that you build, using plans from a shady website with 50 year old pictures of it.

It's "Paypal Verified" though, that's almost as good as a stamp from the FAA.

I think the K-Max is awesome, but the CW-105 looks like a killing machine.