I know this can be a touchy subject, but I have a good friend that just completed training (not at quantum) and switched CFI's part way through. He told me if he had done it sooner it would have saved him thousands, because the training was so much better with the second CFI.

If anyone can name names I would be happy to give my email address if your not comfortable doing it on forum.

Thank you so much for any advice

Pohi's right, it's a completely subjective situation. It's possible that the instructor who didn't work out for your friend could be the best thing that ever happened to the next guy! That's why everyone gives the advice to go visit the school and hang out with the instructors and see who you jive with. As your friend can attest, the student-cfi relationship really is that important! That trip alone will save you thousands. You would likely get as many recommendations as there are instructors at any given school. :)

Also keep in mind that you really do get out what you put in....a LOT of the learning happens at home and that's FREE, no one to blame but one's self! If your CFI has to spoon-feed the material, better re-evaluate the particular job requirement of PIC to think independently, and how that might apply to a future career.

The saying goes "you can teach 'em to fly, but you can't teach 'em to think". So find an instructor you like and bring your thinking cap EVERY SINGLE DAY! :P

Fly safe!

HG03

Keep in mind that the best instructor for one person might not be the best instructor for another person.

That is all

100% truth.

It's not always about who has the most experience or is generally better at instructing. It's not even always about who enjoys it and cares the most, although it helps.

Some people are just more compatible with each other and that is it. Sometimes a person's way of teaching doesn't jive with another person's way of learning, or attitudes/personalities conflict.

Most of the time you will be in good shape with whomever a school assigns you. Just keep in mind that flying with other instructors, when you get the chance, is almost always beneficial. You may learn something new, get a different perspective, or even find another instructor who you wouldn't ever like to fly with again.

or even find another instructor who you wouldn't ever like to fly with again.

I agree, sometimes that instructor just might be your first one. Either way, flying with multiple instructors is a good idea because the sad truth is that having a flight instructor's certificate has nothing to do with a person's ability to teach.

I agree, sometimes that instructor just might be your first one. Either way, flying with multiple instructors is a good idea because the sad truth is that having a flight instructor's certificate has nothing to do with a person's ability to teach.

Wisdom! u r so right...

dp

To All, back safely from Heli Expo and have a few words of wisdom about CFIs.

It has been proven that learning takes place easily when it is "fun". There are other elements that effect learning rates but "FUN" dominates! CFIs need to use the "Law of Readiness" to ensure that their students are in a comfortable and relaxed environment and ready to have "fun". I am not talking about jokes or fooling around but about CFIs managing the "Learning Environment" when giving instruction, both ground or flight!

It is up to the CFI to develop this relationship with a student. To read what makes that student comfortable in a learning environment. CFIs, do not teach every student the same way even if you teach them all the same thing. Students, give the CFI a chance to learn about how you are and what makes you comfortable. Do not be afraid to tell them that something they did or said made you feel relaxed or comfortable/uncomfortable during the instructional period. Also, tell them when an instructional technique made "the lights come on" so they can use it again. The post flight discussion and review is a great time for this but acknowledge this immediately during flight! Students note that the CFI is trying to get you through the Understanding level of learning to the Application level!

This flight/ground instruction stuff is a two way street with responsibilities going both ways.

Be Safe, teach & learn as easily as you can.

MikeMV

To All, back safely from Heli Expo and have a few words of wisdom about CFIs.

It has been proven that learning takes place easily when it is "fun". There are other elements that effect learning rates but "FUN" dominates! CFIs need to use the "Law of Readiness" to ensure that their students are in a comfortable and relaxed environment and ready to have "fun". I am not talking about jokes or fooling around but about CFIs managing the "Learning Environment" when giving instruction, both ground or flight!

It is up to the CFI to develop this relationship with a student. To read what makes that student comfortable in a learning environment. CFIs, do not teach every student the same way even if you teach them all the same thing. Students, give the CFI a chance to learn about how you are and what makes you comfortable. Do not be afraid to tell them that something they did or said made you feel relaxed or comfortable/uncomfortable during the instructional period. Also, tell them when an instructional technique made "the lights come on" so they can use it again. The post flight discussion and review is a great time for this but acknowledge this immediately during flight! Students note that the CFI is trying to get you through the Understanding level of learning to the Application level!

This flight/ground instruction stuff is a two way street with responsibilities going both ways.

Be Safe, teach & learn as easily as you can.

MikeMV

As usual, good stuff Mike!!

We have started using on-line personality tests to get to know our students.. (you can do a search and find many and most are free), find the one that fits your program the best.. they are awesome, and fun.. you can get insight on the student's learning strengths and weaknesses right from the start. People learn in different ways, this helps us tailor the instruction to fit the student.

dp

because the sad truth is that having a flight instructor's certificate has nothing to do with a person's ability to teach.

I found this out the first instructional flight I did and still probably suck. I knew what to say but when you are no longer looking at your own IP or a DPE, things become difficult to convey. Im just thankful I now work with my IP and can still learn from him because in my mind, he is still god.

Good luck with your training OP.

Excuse the late reply to the OP's question, but, from my direct experience at Quantum, it's important to have management involved as well - to, for example, pick up that something's not going quite as it should be and to bring their additional experience to bear where appropriate.

The lack thereof at Quantum was key to my leaving there and going off to Jerry Trimble in Oregon instead, and I'm really very happy that I did.

--Dave