static wicks on helicopters?

So I know most fixed wing airplanes have static wicks on them somewhere to help dissipate any electrical charge. Why don't helicopters use them? Or at least I haven't noticed them on Robbies or other small helicopters. It seems like the friction occurring from the rotor blades would amplify the situation. Actually I remember when I used to do hoisting work with the Jayhawk we would always allow the hook to touch the deck before hooking up. I know I've heard plenty of stories of guys getting a good electrical shock from grabbing the hook before it grounded out.

Actually I remember when I used to do hoisting work with the Jayhawk we would always allow the hook to touch the deck before hooking up. I know I've heard plenty of stories of guys getting a good electrical shock from grabbing the hook before it grounded out.

I do just the opposite, smack the hook before it hits the ground to discharge most of the static and then just grab it...kinda like putting the battery on your tongue!!! ....having the hook smack the ground could cause damage to the opening mechanism or cause entaglement of the cable....and always wastes time unspooling extra cable and then spooling it back up. So I always just grab it, (and rarely would the chief allow the hook to touch the ground.)

Anyway, back to the original question...is lightning going to go past a spinning metal rotor to strike an airframe of a helicopter? My guess is no, but thats just a guess.

Goldy

Larger helicopters do have them. They're installed on most medium and large models I've seen, usually on the horizontal stabilizer trailing edge.

They're on the stabilator of a Blackhawk. They don't help with the hook/slingload thing though.

With Hiline rescue there is usually a weighted rope before the wire, you should let it ground to discharge static, before grabbing hold.

http://www.sailtrain.co.uk/seamanship/helicopter.htm

A little test :unsure:

http://www.scarsbrook.net/bsaclive/DT10_1.htm

I asked my CFI that exact same question a few months ago. I learned that all helicopters with wheels instead of skids have static discharge wicks. I also noticed that the fine dirt accumulating on the rotor blades of my R22 had the appearance of being electrostatically deposited, and was informed that I should use non-synthetic wax on the blades to keep them cleaner, that synthetic waxes built up a bigger charge. I also found a very cool web page with amazing pictures of rotor static on a landing Chinook. Do a Google search on Kopp-Etchells Effect.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/the-kopp-...ells-effect.htm

There is also a fine YouTube video called "High Voltage Cable Inspection" that is pretty impressive.

So far, no one has provided me with a real explanation as to why helos with skids don't need wicks, everyone just assumes the metals skids provide adequate contact and discharging.

LR22